Wednesday, November 26, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving.....Z

Z is for Zoo birds!
Most of these birds I would never see if not for zoos. Maybe you can identify some of them....maybe you even see them all the time, but for the most part they are strange for me! This was the most fantastic mixture of zoo birds I have ever seen!
This is the Tucson, AZ Zoo.
I love that huge stork bird! Can't think of its name.

Some sort of Pintail duck

This one was gorgeous! Jenny just identified this one as a Blue Faced Honeyeater!

This one was strange, but I love it!

A white crane or egret of some sort?

Lovely bunch of Flamingos....like tulips on legs.

This one is beautiful! Rothschild's Mynah.

I think this looks like a Chickadee with long legs!

Isn't this an amazing pair??

I love penguins!

I kept waiting for it to dance....Happy Feet!

OK....even some ordinary Mallards visit zoos.....I just love this shot!
This is at the Columbus, Ohio zoo.
That's the alphabet and I'm thankful for every bird that I've ever seen and hope I add many more to my life list some day! And now I'm thankful that I am done with this!

20 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Quite an ending to your great ABC series! I LOVE the white bird with the blue around its eye! (OK, yeah, I know - I just love blue feathers.)

Mary said...

Helen: You do seem to have a strong attachment for "blue" :-) Of course if I saw all those great bluebirds that you see, I would too!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Well, I must say you ended on a high note.I was wondering how you would manage 'Z'.Believe it or not I have spent considerable time thinking about this,guess I should have let you worry about it.That was a great 'ABC'.What is next?
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

Oh, Wow! Amazing bunch of birds. That 'black' one that you said you loved--he is an interesting charachter. And the one you thought looked like a chickadee with long legs--my first throught was a killdeer in a tuxedo! Poor little thing--if he lived with us he wouldn't know what he is. LOL

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: A great place to go for your Z post. The zoo does give you so many interesting birds to photograph.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I can't believe you made it through Z. :-) Great shots and great assortment of birds. Ours has an arboretum and it's not always easy to see the birds hiding in there. Have a great Thanksgiving! :-)

DeniseinVA said...

Oh my goodness I love all these photos, some birds I can identify but the others look so exotic and have never seen before. All beautiful shots.

p.s. I think that mallard is a pretty brave little fellow.

Eve said...

Those are some beautiful birds thanks for posting them Mary!

Eve said...

I was going to say Zowieeeee! but thought better of it!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone and I'm thankful to be done with this alphabet even though it was both challenging and fun :-) Now maybe I will get back to only one post a day.

Eve: I was expecting zowieee!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, just wanted to thank you for doing this ABC of birds, you gave a load of fun to me and everyone I think. I can name one of your birds for sure. The 'gorgeous' one is a Blue-faced Honeyeater. I saw them in Australia back in 2005. Fabulous birds. I used a photo of one in my SWF post a few months back.

North West Birds said...

What cool Zoo birds!

I like the Cranes.

What in the world is the fifth photo?!?

Mary said...

Jenny: Thanks!

North West Birds: I'm trying to find it but haven't been able to come up with a name yet. I think it is from South America.

NoBS said...

I, too, love the last picture. Although they are all wonderful. I also really enjoy the squirrel on your sidebar. CUTE!

Mary said...

NoBS: Thanks for stopping by...come back on Sunday and the squirrel will be in my post :-)

Anonymous said...

That's pretty trippy, it does look like a chickadee on stilts. :) Cool.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I take my hat off to you Mary...you worked through the alphabet very well with one one or two small cheats along the way!! ANd very clever ones they were too!! LOL!! Those Wattles Cranes are common here by us but beautiful birds. You have some very unusual birds here. A wonderful selection.

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at that assortment. It is amazing all the different shapes, sizes and colors that happen in the bird world.

Norm said...

wow! what a wonderful birds especially those Flamingos, very pretty and elegant.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! It was fun going through the alphabet and trying the hard letters in particular.