Monday, November 24, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving....X

OK, OK.....I'm cheating again! What do you expect for X?????
This is the only bird I know that even has an "X" in its name!!
X is for the X in Pyrrhuloxia This gorgeous bird is in Tucson and I apologize for the awful shots, but my sister's window is sun damaged and adds a haze to everything!
It looks a lot like a female Cardinal with a bleeding chest and red around the eyes! However, female cardinals have red beaks and this one has a yellow beak.

It's a pretty bird and I hope to some day get better photos.

12 comments:

Eve said...

Extraordinary Mary!
What did you think I would say!!
:-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know about your other readers, but I was looking forward to a bird playing the xylophone.

Mary said...

Eve: I don't know....you're having alphabet toubles, too :-)

Wren: LOL! Wish I had a picture of that....or even a xylophone!

Cicero Sings said...

I was waiting for the x ... I thought sure you would be flummoxed ... but you came through! Interesting bird.

Jenny said...

I did a bit of looking in my USA bird books for X. If you'd been to California, you might have been able to photograph a Xantus's Murrelet on the sea or.....if you'd gone latin, you could have had Yellow-headed Blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)!
Mind you, I love your Pyrrohlolxia pics! (-:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat bird, very sneaky.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Who can blame you for cheating on this one? :-) What a great looking bird.

Mary said...

Cicero:I really was flummoxed....but cheating will work at times :-)

Jenny: I looked all those up, too, but I've never seen a Yellow-headed Blackbird! They are on my most-want-to-see list as a matter of fact!

Fishing Guy: I've done a lot of alphabet lists in my life and X is always the worst letter for everything!

Mary said...

Jenny: Thanks for making me notice that I spelled it wrong, too! I kept thinking it didn't look right, but didn't check it. Embarrassing!

Becky said...

A new bird I've never seen before.
Very pretty.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You definitely outsmarted us here Mary!! Even though it is a bit of a cheat too!! LOL!! Well done.

Mary said...

Becky: I think they are beautiful. Same family as the Cardinal.

Joan:I'm glad X is over :-) Gave me a chance to sneak in a lovely bird that we eastern people don't see normally.