Thursday, November 20, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving.....T

I have three wonderful "T" birds to be thankful for!
T is for Tufted Titmouse. You all know that I love these little birds, so I had trouble limiting how many photos I used :-)
It can be pretty....

....perky....


......frustrating when it launches itself right when you click ( I got lucky this time and got the photo before he launched himself at the feeder!)

They eat at any type of feeder and seem to like anything I put out there.

They brighten up my winters with their cute antics.

They are just plain cute!

Cute!

T is for Towhee
Towhees are beautiful birds, but they are always on the ground and move a lot, so I don't get a lot of great photos.
The male is lovely black with the rufous sides.....

....the female is more brown with the same rufous sides.
Finally, T is for Thrasher (Brown Thrasher)
Thrashers have such a lovely brown color and those startling yellow eyes! The speckled chest just adds to its good looks. They are a large bird and I usually find them on the suet when they are around. They come here in the spring, but sometimes stay for summer and just don't come to feeders then.

They sometimes look a little "mean" like all of that family (Catbird, Mockingbird and Thrasher)

They "glare" at you!

The young are very ungainly looking and awkward and have none of the beauty of the parent at first! They have a blue eye, which helps show they are young.

Here is a parent in front and a younster behind. The tail of the young tend to be sort of short.

Those are the 3 T's that visit me! Great birds to be thankful for!

20 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh I am first today!! Yipeee!! I love that Thrasher Mary although they are all cute. I love the birds, they are such a joy to have around.

Eve said...

This is great Mary. I don't get the Titmouse here at my place, but the Brown Thrasher and Towhee are breeders here. However...the NEVER show up at my feeders so this is a real treat!!! I do get the Towhee in the summer sitting at the top of the trees singing..."Drink yer teeeeeeee"!!! Thanks!!!

Mary said...

Joan: I like the Thrasher, too but he doesn't come to the feeders much except in the spring when they have their young ones. Now that my feeder tree is dead, I think it makes them more nervous with no leaves to hide in.

Eve: It really amazes me that you don't have the Titmouse. I tend to think of them as one of those birds that are everywhere. I bet they make their way there some day. The Thrasher breeds here, too, but once the young come to the feeders, they all disappear for the rest of the year. I had some young Towhees in the drive this year in the spring, so maybe they breed here, too. I never see them in the summer. I'm in one of those regions that is sort of a transition, I think. We have mild winters and mild summers and the birds overlap their territories here. I need you around to teach me all the songs! I hear them and always wonder who is singing. I really should learn some of them other then the Chickadee and the Cardinal when it squawks at my cats! I saw some guinea fowl along the road yesterday, but not in a place I could stop for a photo...thought of you!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I shot a Titmouse for the first time this Spring. It sang so beautifully that it called me to shoot.

I have an award for you on my site if you are interested.

Shelley said...

Found you from Fishing guy's site. Loved the photos of the tufted titmouse! they are such fun to watch.

me ann my camera said...

A Thrasher I have seen, but not the other two. Most beautiful pictures, maybe some day a Titmouse will show up in my yard!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Great photos. I haven't seen a towhee since I moved from Tennessee. Not many in northern IL.
Marnie

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: Titmice are so much fun! Thank you for the award...how nice of you! I never know who to pass them on to, because I love every blog that I visit!

Shellmo:Thanks for stopping by! I've seen your comments on a lot of the blogs I visit. Titmice are great and I love taking their photos...when they hold still.

Ann:I hope one comes some day...or you will just have to come south to see one :-) It looks like on the map that both the Titmouse and the Towhee stop at about the same northern place, below Maine. Maybe they will eventually work their way further north.

Marnie: I'm surprised that you don't see them in Illinois, but I guess it all depends on what sort of habitat you have around you. I live in the country, so my variety is greater than if I lived further in town.

Jenny said...

I have to agree with you Mary, those Titmice are just soooooooo cute! Do you have to shoot your feeder photos from the house through a window or have they got so used to you that you can photograph from outside? YOu get some great shots! (-:

Mary said...

Jenny: I shoot through a window most of the time. The tree with most of the feeders is about 5 feet from my front door and I shoot through the sidelights on either side. If I get a camera with more zoom, I can spread the feeders out a bit more and probably make the birds happier :-)

Rose said...

It has been ages and ages since I have seen a brown thrasher...I was just looking at them in the bird book last night. These are great pictures.

Mary said...

Rose: I wish they came more often, but I don't think they really like coming to the feeder area. I've seen them near the creek or woods occasionally.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I keep trying to find a spot where I can see more birds. My yard is definitely not the place... not yet. :-) I always enjoy your great photos. :-)

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: You'll find somewhere! One good tree and some shrubs for cover are about all it takes....and lots of good food to lure them in :-)

abb said...

Well, at least I have one of the three...titmice in abundance....have never had the pleasure of seeing the thrasher or towhee, tho I've seen both in Missouri - YEARS ago!

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

I would be utterly fascinated with these little feathered ones too and madly click away! Just beautiful!

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

I can hardly get my Titmouse visitors to stay long enough for a picture. Great shots!

Mary said...

Annie: You'll just have to visit Missouri more often :-)

Greyscale: They are cute and irrisitable for sure.

Rottlady: I have that trouble, too and even did a post about how uncooperative they are :-)

Mike said...

I find these birds very interesting to look at, its like a mixture of 4 of our birds and youve captured it very well.

Mary said...

Mike: Thanks!