S is for Sparrow
When I first began watching birds, Sparrows gave me the most trouble identifying them....they still do at times.
American Tree Sparrow....this one was new for me this year.
American Tree Sparrow again......the black spot on the chest separates it from the.....
.... Chipping Sparrow which is similar in color and markings. I just took this photo on Sunday and according to my book this is probably a first winter one while the one below is a breeding adult.
American Tree Sparrow again......the black spot on the chest separates it from the.....
16 comments:
Why don't we have such pretty ones here? All we have are common House Sparrows!! :)
You are doing well Mary. If you have a way to listen to their songs, looke up Clay-colored Sparrow and you will be amazed at what I hear each summer!
Isn't it amazing the kinds of sparrows there are? I have never tried to identify them all. I know the house sparrow on sight, but there are so many other little ones around...
Joan: Welome back! Before I moved to the country, I didn't see any but House Sparrows, either.
Eve: I get excited now when I see a new sparrow. I've never tried so far to learn the songs, but would like to. I will look for the one you mention and listen to it.
Rose:I didn't really try until we moved here and I suddenly saw ones that were obviously not House Sparrows every day....that got me curious :-)
Thank you, Mary, for identifying the sparrows - they have been 'sparrow-like' birds for us for far too long.
Mary: I enjoy these little sparrows, thanks for sharing all the identifications.
Michael Bird: Thanks...I try! Ann at Nature Trails blog did a much better job of identifying them in her blog earlier this year. She sees and knows more of them than I do.
Fishing Guy: I enjoy seeing the different types and always hope for a new one :-)
These are really nice. I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of sparrows until I started trying to identify birds I'd photographed. :-)
2sweetnsaxy: Sparrows can drive you nuts trying to figure them out! Warblers are worse, in my opinion.
I really love the little sparrows. I have posted two surprising visitors at my feeders yesterday.
Let me know if you can find the clay-colored song....I would love to hear your reaction to it!!
Great photos again Mary. I love your USA sparrows they are so varied and pretty. Of course I LOVE your warblers too. T next, this alphabet is going wayyyyyy toooooo fast!!! (-:
It's amazing how many different types of sparrows there are. Your photos are great Mary and I always appreciate being educated about our feathered friends. I am learning as I go along. Thank you!
Ann: Loved your sparrow visitors! Forgot to include my only photo of a Field Sparrow.
Eve:LOL! That is a very funny sounding bird! Mike says it sounds like a short in an electrical system!
Jenny: T is all set to go :-) And I have lots of wrens for you on W. Warblers, I'm not so good at.
Denise: We all learn at some time. I didn't know more than a half dozen birds before we moved to the "country"....had never even seen a woodpecker before except on TV. I've had 28 years to figure out the ones I see now :-)
I had no idea that there were such a variety of sparrows! Here in Australia, I have only ever seen brown sparrows with just subtle changes in the brown tonings!
Great shots again Mary, we have a white crowned sparrow turn up in the UK one year and it caused quite a stir.
Post a Comment