Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving....R

Some lovely "R" birds to be thankful for today!
First we have: R is for Rose-breasted Grosbeak The beautiful male....this one still has some spots...a young one.
Another male

I think that the female is very pretty, too!
The fact that I only see them in the spring probably makes them that more special!

R is for Red-Winged Blackbird.
I like to watch the male at the feeder. His tail bobs up and down the whole time and on the down stroke he fans it out. Balance?

The first female I saw, I had no idea what it was! I don't have any really great photos of the female....they are always head down eating.

Probably my favorite shot.
R is for Robin
The bringer of spring....or at least its herald.

The female is lighter in color than the male.

Another female
Male iwth a nice worm...yuck!

15 comments:

Eve said...

A Really Rosy post Mary!

Becky said...

Oh, how I would like to see any of those birds right now. It would mean spring time for sure.
Not much more snow last night, but the weather can't be trusted. It can turn on you at any minute.
Have a great day Mary.

Mary said...

Eve: Thanks! Some of the loveliest colored springtime birds for sure.

Becky: I can't believe you already have had 24" of snow?? We don't get that much in an entire winter.

The Birdlady said...

Beautiful r's - the grosbeak is so handsome.

me ann my camera said...

I was in disbelief with my first sighing of a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak, then hard a difficult time identifying a female; such a difference in their appearances, same goes for the Red-winged blackbird.An robin, always a favourite and each spring when they return I cannot believe I ever saw such a beautiful bird, a few weeks later there ae so many I seldom take notice. All lovely r's to be thankkful for.

It is 'R' on ABC Wednesday today too and my husband is writing a post for me on, 'rocker blotters; I don't think anyone else will have that topic :-)

Just going out the door. I think I'll take a quick look to see if the gull I posted this morning is still around.

Rose said...

Beautiful pictures, Mary. We raised a robin once. See my Jan 14 post for a picture...I always think they are such a gentle bird.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Super shots of the R birds in your life.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, those were some great R birds. Believe it or not, I saw my first ever American Robin right here in Britain. Poor thing had been blown over the atlantic to land on our Scilly Isles in SW England. This happens quite a lot to your American birds, see my latest post! (-: Looking forward to S......

Mary said...

Helen: They are really wonderful birds.

Ann: I was the same way the first time a Rosie landed! Now they seem to know the way and I can count on a couple showing up every spring. Robins do tend to be ignored and thought of as ordnary and they have a lovely color when we take the time to watch them.

Rose: will check out your robin when I get done here. They do seem gentle.

Fishing Guy: There are probably more R's if I would think about it longer. This has made me think about what all birds come here.

Jenny: I didn't realize that our birds got blown that far! How amazing. I feel sorry for them, if they don't have their mates along. I read about your Junco...how neat!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful birds!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Lovely!! Lovely!! Lovely!! I took some birds in Kruger but nothing as beautiful as yours I'm afraid but I will post them anyway as I know you are waiting to see some. :)

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks!

Joan: Yes, I am anxious to see what sort of birds you have.

2sweetnsaxy said...

More great shots, as usual. :-) You really do capture some very pretty birds. That first one is my favorite I think.

DeniseinVA said...

I need to get back here more often, I had so much catching up to do today. Your photos always make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Another great set of birds Mary. Thanks