I'm sure that everyone has guessed that...
Q is for Quail.
Every year when we go to Tucson, I have a lot of fun feeding and watching the Gambrel's Quail. These are the only Quail that I ever see, even though there should be Bob-Whites in this area.
She has a low wall around her back yard and suddenly one will appear on the wall and then they start raining over the top in large numbers.
They scurry all over the back yard looking for the seeds that I put out for them.
I would love to be there some year for the babies, but we are always too early.
They are such handsome and odd and colorful birds!
This was one of the better front shots I ever took. They move so fast and constantly that I'm not good at getting unblurred photos!
She has a low wall around her back yard and suddenly one will appear on the wall and then they start raining over the top in large numbers.
They scurry all over the back yard looking for the seeds that I put out for them.I would love to be there some year for the babies, but we are always too early.
They are such handsome and odd and colorful birds!
This was one of the better front shots I ever took. They move so fast and constantly that I'm not good at getting unblurred photos!

14 comments:
Love the quail and the bunny too!
OH that header is a prize winner!!
Those are very cool birds - and great shots.
What odd little birds. I love the top knot!
Marnie
They are beautiful little birds.
Mary: I do love the quail photos and it amazing when you catch to different species in harmony.
Thanks everyone! I'm always fascinated by these funny little birds when we go to Tucson! My sister calls them "prairie chickens" and they are all over the place and so funny to watch. They scurry around in a large bunch eating all the seeds I throw out for them. They probably look forward to my visits since she doesn't feed them normally :-) She gets bobcats in her back yard and they like to grab one for eating occasionally. I never get to see the bobcats when I'm there!
Good shots of the Quail Mary. They are neat looking birds. We had a Bob White one year that hung around for 3-4 days in our back yard. Don't know why or where it came from. He sure did have a loud voice too.
How cool are these!? I've never seen a quail in person but I've always like that little feather on top of their head. Reminds me of those headbands women wore in the roaring 20's (I think) with that one little feather in front.
Becky: when we first moved here there were some bob-white familes along the creek, but when more house were built, we never saw them again.
2 sweetnsaxy: You are right! I know exactly what headbands you mean :-) Funny..."Flapper Quails" :-)
I love the quail! When we lived in Eastern Washington, we had California Quail that came through our yard to eat seeds we had out. I could spend hours watching them. I wish there were some around here!!
Thank you for visiting my blog.
Dowhatyoulove: Thanks for stopping by! I love your blog and sometimes recognize places you show.
Oh I love that one with the feather sticking out!! It looks like a 1950's hat my mother used to wear!! LOL!!
Joan: They are funny looking with that little topknot :-)
Post a Comment