Sunday, November 16, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving.....P

(Never fear....Squirrel Sunday is below this post!)
I have 4 birds for P.
P is for Pine Siskin.I don't have any really excellent photos of the Pine Siskin....they are always mixed in with the Goldfinches and I don't take too many individual shots. This one showed the slight yellow on the wing the best. Basically they look and act just like the Goldfinch, if it wasn't for the stripes and the touch of yellow . The other wingbars are just the same.
Here you get a front view and a back view in one shot :-)
P is for Pileated Woodpecker!
I was really amazed last winter when this giant woodpecker showed at the feeder!
This guy is huge...16-19 1/2". We had a pair that stopped by occasionally, but were very easily spooked and not so easily photographed. I actually hung the suet feeder that my squirrel "Star" sits on up for this guy, so he wouldn't have to come so close to the house....but he always came anyway!

P is for Peacock!
They can be albino......

.....or beautiful blue and green!

P is for Plover.
This was a last minute addition.....I just took the photo this week at the wetlands.
I can not tell you which plover this is. It was with a group of Killdeer.

12 comments:

Eve said...

Perfect post Mary!
Ha Ha!

Mary said...

Eve: Thanks! I always enjoy your humor :-)

me ann my camera said...

Peacocks are so beautiful!! And a Pileated Woodpecker in your yard!!! How could you be so lucky, I would love to have one stop by for even just a few minutes. They are so magnificent in their size. Happy Sunday!

Mary said...

Ann: I agree that both Peacocks and Pileated woodpeckers are pretty spectacular. I always enjoy both. I hope the Pileated return this winter.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lucky you to have the Pileated come to feed at your house.We have to go to the Dairy Queen to see them.Ha!Ha!

Rose said...

I am always learning something new here; I did not realize there were so many different kinds of plovers till I googled it after looking at your post today.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat captures of the four birds.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Mary, I am looking forward to photographing some of our Siskins as they are more likely to be seen now this time of year.

Mary said...

Ruth: the Dairy Queen?? I must have misssed that post :-)

Rose:Yes, there are and they all look alike to me!

Fishing Guy: Thank you!

Roy: I need to try to get some better photos of our siskin. One thing this series is showing me, is which birds I don't photograph as much!

The Birdlady said...

and I have 2 words - pretty and perfect!

abb said...

This is lovely, but I must go see my squirrels!

Mary said...

Helen and Annie: Thanks!