Friday, November 14, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving.....N

(My SkyWatch post is below this one)
N is for Nuthatch!
I get to see two beautiful little nuthatches and just love watching both of them. The Red Breasted Nuthatch is the smaller of the two....about 4 1/2".
I don't see him as often, but always think he is really beautiful.

All Nuthatches are so "perky" and flit from one place to another and every which way and direction.

I don't usually get close-ups like this one.

A very pretty bird with its orange breast, black and white head and grey back!

The White-breasted Nuthach is larger....5-6".

I see them quite a bit and love to watch them zip in and attack first one feeder and then another looking for the perfect seed.

What a bend!

So dainty with its carefully selected seed.

And this one has such a beautiful underside!
(Lesson learned: Making this post was a partial disaster.....somehow while moving photos around I managed to permanantely delete my entire Skywatch file of beautiful sunsets and clouds! Made me want to cry, but I know the best ones are safe in my blog or Picasa albums. I guess that I'm thankful that I didn't delete anything more important than sky shots! I recovered some of the other files that suddenly started deleting, but missed the Skywatch file and hit delete again while trying to get rid of junk that I really wanted deleted.....sigh.....doesn't pay to get in a hurry when you are tired.)

18 comments:

Eve said...

Oh Mary I know how much work goes into these posts...I'm sorry you had that problem...I've had that happen before too. Well, you still have your pictures and that is the silver lining. It's a learning curve I think. I love the nuthatches and the Red-breasted is a special guy!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, that's a horrible feeling when that happens. I deleted a whole afternoons worth of work once. Urgh! Feel for you! I should have thought of Nuthatch, but my brain was like mush yesterday! Fabulous photos. They are so photogenic arnt they!

Mary said...

Eve: It was such a stupid thing to do. I just realized that when you copy and paste that the next word down is "delete"...I assume I hit that by mistake while pasting. Unfortunately I was in a folder that contained several other folders and ..."poof"...gone! Then instead of restoring it from the recylcle bin, I further deleted! I must have been extremely brain dead at the moment!

Jenny: Yes, it was a real frustrating moment. Obviously you weren't the only one with a brain like mush recently :-)

Roses and Lilacs said...

I'm sorry you lost your skywatch photos. Don't we all do stuff like that when we get in a rush? That's why I empty my 'trash' file so infrequently;) It has saved me more than once.

I seldom get the red breasted nuthatch at my feeders. Just down the road at the wildlife sanctuary they have a couple. The white breasted are regulars at my feeders. Grab a seed and zip away to hide it, then back again. Always busy.
Marnie

me ann my camera said...

A wonderful N, for nuthatches are such sweet little birds. Lost pictues , always such a downer whenthat happens, hope you are able to recover many.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A lovely little bird Mary but they are so difficult to take pictures of when they flit around like that. I am glad you got your skywatch pictures back!!

Mary said...

Marnie: Nuthatches are one of my favorites to watch. I don't see the red-breasted as often as the white, but he is out there somewhere! The white likes to come to the wooden feeder where he hunkers down and starts "sorting"...throwing the seeds out every which way until he has just the right one. I don't understand his reasoning, but I guess he does :-)

Ann: They are so entertaining to watch!

Joan: Thanks! They move constantly, but once they hang ont he feeder, I can usually get some shots. I get a lot with "head motion" in them...same problem with chickadees and titmice and downys.

Seth and Michelle said...

Mary, I'm very sorry that you lost your photos. But, it sounds like you're taking it in stride. Good for you!

The Nuthatch photos are great! We get the Red-Breasted in everyday but we have never had the White-Breatsed in the yard.

Mary said...

Portland Backyard: Thanks! I think both are cute and really enjoy their visits.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of the Nuthatch Mary and they are quite similar to ours apart from black head instead of grey. Sorry about your photos, I always keep spares that I want to keep on the hard drive before I ever post any, just in case.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots, as usual! :-) I'm sorry you deleted that file. You're right, it doesn't pay to rush when you're tired. While trying to copy my files from my old laptop to a new one I did something really stupid and wound up repartitioning my hard drive. It wiped out everything. I lost EVERYTHING! I cried for a week.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

N- for Nuthatch is a lovely post.We have several Red-breasted Nuthatches around all year.I never tire of them,the Whita-breasted is not as tame,at least not at our house.

abbey meadows said...

Lovely shots of lovely birds. Over here we get the Eurasian Nuthatch. I will try and post a pic on my blog if I can get close enough to one.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Those are simply marvelous captures of the nuthatches.

Anonymous said...

I love the nuthatch! If he follows me home, can I keep him?

Becky said...

I think the Nuthatch is one of my most favorite birds. I never get tired of watching them. You've captured them perfectly too.
I know how you feel about deleting pictures. I've done it twice, and sometimes I get too finger happy when I'm moving across the keyboard, and then oops it's too late.

Mary said...

Roy: I think there must be less variation in nuthatches then a lot of other birds. I believe there is one more that I never see...the brown headed.

2sweetnsaxy: Thanks! I get in such a hurry some times when I start organizing and deleting photos. I feel for you...losing everything is awful. We have a backup drive and I don't copy as often as I should....did it yesterday after my little disaster and I may have a few of the older missing photos already there.

Ruth: I really like these little "clowns" :-) You had a nice photo of one, too!

Abbey meadows: Would love to see your Eurasian nuthatch and compare.

Fishing guy: Thanks! It was a fun post to do.

Wren: Sure :-)

Becky: I love them, too...obviously :-) Yes, being in a hurry certainly can lead to disaster.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Great bird shots. WE are getting more birds to our feeder, but have not tried the suet again yet.
--JB