(My World post below this one)
K is for Kinglet (Ruby-Crowned)
Two years ago this little bird showed up in December and hung around all winter.
I think I had two of them. The first time I saw one it was "dancing" on top of a slippery bird feeder trying to pick up suet crumbs that had fallen. I named her "Ginger" for her dancing ability. I later realized that this one has a damaged leg and it always stood sort of lopsided or with the foot up.
The male has a red patch on its head, but they conceal it and only once did I get a photo of a little bit of it.....and I can't find that photo!!!
It is such a cute tiny little bird, and I really enjoyed watching it that winter :-)
Her hurt leg makes her stand funny, but she was fiesty and was there all winter.
K is for Killdeer
I do love these lovely birds and wish I saw them more often!
These were the first I got photos of over in southern Illinois. I've posted them before, but they are the best I have.
Two years ago this little bird showed up in December and hung around all winter.
I think I had two of them. The first time I saw one it was "dancing" on top of a slippery bird feeder trying to pick up suet crumbs that had fallen. I named her "Ginger" for her dancing ability. I later realized that this one has a damaged leg and it always stood sort of lopsided or with the foot up.
The male has a red patch on its head, but they conceal it and only once did I get a photo of a little bit of it.....and I can't find that photo!!!
It is such a cute tiny little bird, and I really enjoyed watching it that winter :-)
Her hurt leg makes her stand funny, but she was fiesty and was there all winter.K is for Killdeer
These were the first I got photos of over in southern Illinois. I've posted them before, but they are the best I have.
15 comments:
I love your bird filled world. I think I will have to succumb to putting up a burd feeder to make it easier to photograph mine.
Arija: Without feeders, I would never get a decent bird photo :-) Once you begin feeding them they expect you to keep at it....I've got about 60+ goldfinches eating me out of house and home at the moment.
Lovely photos Mary!
(You're nearly at 'L')
You get some great shots Mary. Just love that fan tailed Killdeer one, and the kinglet ones are great as they are always on the move, like our Goldcrest.
Steve AKA Kingsdowner: Don't remind me! Just wait...I've got it taken care of...sort of.
Jenny:I really liked that little kinglet and wish another one would come and visit. That killdeer was very defensive of that nest!
How clever you are to take these photos at close quarters.Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for your visit.
Thank you for the heartwarming words. So November is also a special month for you!
I am very much enjoying your bird ABC.The Killdeer with it's tail fanned out is very pretty.
Nice shots Mary, the last photo is a cracker.
Reader wil: Yes, it is and I have several family birthdays to brighten the month.
Ruth: I'm enjoying doing this...and getting some of my photos organized at the same time:-)
Mike: Thanks...I always liked that one!
Excellant pictures Mary. I've never seen a Kinglet before, and I thought they only hung around in the summer.
Some years ago when the kids were little we camped in a campground where they had a small train running. The kids could ride on the train. There was a Killdeer's nest right in the middle of the tracks on the stones, and amazingly it survived all those trips over it with the locomotive and cars never once touching the eggs. The parents would leave untill the rides were over and then return..
B
I do believe I mixed up my god finches with the kinglets! Maybe not, but there were not so gold finchy looking birds and I now think they were probably kinglets.
Thank you, Mary!
WHERE'S MY CAMERA???
Lovely!! Lovely!! Lovely!! Typical to not be able to find a picture when you need it....most annoying!! LOL!!
These are just wonderful photos - kinglets are favorites of mine - they are so tiny and busy! And that fan-tailed kildeer is a winner!
Mary: Beautiful captures of the Killdeer and the Kinglet (which is a new one to me).
Post a Comment