Friday, November 7, 2008

The ABC's of Thanksgiving (cont.)...EF

(SkyWatch post is below this one)
Continuing my list of birds that I'm thankful for:E is for Egret........seen on Kiawah Island, SC

I wish that I saw them here, but I don't.....beautiful birds!

F is for Finch........here is a typical gathering of House Finches on the railing.

This was a fall shot of my House Finches from a few years ago....if it looks familiar I think I posted another from the same group.
Male House Finch ( I call them Red Finches)

Young finch at the feeder.
Another lovely finch is the Purple Finch. I do not get many photos of the Purple Finch. The House Finches and Purple Finches confuse a lot of people, but you can clearly see here that the Purple Finch does not have the stripes that the House Finch has. I've had people insist that House Finches are Purple Finches.....it's really hard to tell since their color is not purple, but raspberry and the House Finches range from pink to red to even a orangish color!

If you are wondering where the Goldfinch is, I'm saving him for a "G" bird :-)

Tomorrow I should catch up to only doing one letter per day!

17 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Great photos. I don't get many purple finches here either. I have to be paying attention or I assume they are all house finches and don't notice the rare purple ones.
Marnie

John Theberge said...

It's amazing, the finches are the same color as those leaves on the tree.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, I wondered how you tell the purple finch from the house finch--thanks so much for pointing it out.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: My what a really neat capture of all the finches. Confesion time; I thought they were odd colored sparrows.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

The finches have such beautiful colors Mary. But you Prple one looks red to me. LOL!!

Cicero Sings said...

Quite the feat ... going through the alphabet like this ... but you are dong very well so far!

Mike said...

I can't wait to see what you have for X!

The Birdlady said...

Love them all - What a great idea.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Good going,Mary,I'm waiting to see more.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!

Mike: I can't wait to see what I have for "X", too....I can't even find an "L" at the moment!

abb said...

G will be for Goldfinch??? Neat photos!

Any Larks around your area?

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful E & F birds! I too love the purple finches, but it's hard to have favorites...there are so many wonderful birds! The egrets are so elegant!
Marie

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Good info on the difference. I've only gotten a photo of one purple finch and I almost missed that...

Becky said...

Great shots Mary. Those finches do come in so many colors of red, orange, pink, and raspberry. Very confusing. My birds are beginning to come around now. I need to get some thistle seed though. I almost don't want to know what the price is..:(

Mary said...

Annie: Well, Goldfinch is certainly one of my G birds :-) Never seen a Lark.

Marie:I love them all, so I am enjoying going back through my photos.

Rambling Woods: This past winter was the first time I got any really good Purple Finch shots. I have so many more of the House Finches.

Becky: You better close your eyes when you pay for it! After watching that huge flock of goldfinches eat mine up faster than I can fill the feeders, I am trying to taper off! Sunflower seed is more expensive this year, too.

2sweetnsaxy said...

You always have the best bird shots. Love the color of the Purple Finch. It's beautiful.

Cindy said...

I love the shot with the barn roof in it. So pretty.
My skywatch