There was a large flock of the Greater White-fronted Geese in one field by themselves. Sometimes they mix with the Snow Geese and sometimes the different geese separate. Again, there are both adults and juveniles. The adults of these geese have the marks on the bellies....dark stripes.
A few in the air.
Filling one hillside.
A lot of Mallards were hanging around, too. This isn't a good shot, but you can count the green heads and see that there were a lot of male Mallards! Just a few females in this mix.
A pair of Mallards.
Some more of that mix.....on the far right is a female Shoveler. You can see her very large bill. We saw a group of Shovelers in another spot, but they were so busy feeding with their heads in the water, I didn't get and good photos.
Mallards taking off.
I didn't even see that Heron until we had this on the computer! I was too busy looking at geese and ducks.
These are mostly Canada Geese, but towards the right side is a Pintail duck by itself. And I see one Snow Goose out there with them. Towards the far shore were some other ducks and a few Shovelers in the foreground. Too far, and too little light.
My "7 swans" are still out there swimming....at least 7! Maybe 9?
Shovelers, Coots and Mallards.
*******
We also drove past some barns with quilt squares in that area on the way to lunch at a nice barbecue place with quilts hanging inside. I will either post those at a more distant time or in one of my other blogs. I have some Bluebirds hanging around the house and am anxious to post their photos here soon!
10 comments:
Awesome, Mary... I know that you go to Henderson regularly. However, I think you may have seen more different birds (and so many of them) this year.. I'm so impressed. Bet you took 1000 pictures... Wow!!!!
Thanks for sharing the with us.
Hugs,
Betsy
Seeing all these birds make s me long for spring and their arrival here.Until then I will enjoy the pictures you post.
Wonderful shots, Mary! Love the green-headed Mallards. I think you have about 9 Swans a'swimming!
Hi Mary...Oh my goodness I couldn't believe all those emerald green heads sticking out of the Mallards ..quite the sight!!
I will be waiting to see your bluebirds...I had 3 come to the feeding station last Monday morning and it was 2 above zero..poor things!!
Grace
Great photos! Look at how well the green of those mallards' heads show up even at a distance! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
you got some good shots of the mallards . the ones I tend to get seem to show their rear ends all the time.
The other thing I did notice was your Goldfinch male is a much different colour to ours (more gold)
Much more water fowl where you are. And I love that photo with all the green heads! Such pops of color!
These are really making me want to go check out the strip pits, as well as goose pond. We are not seeing any geese flying over the house here at all...used to be we saw them over all the time. I am really wondering if their flight path has changed.
You always have such good geese shots, and I love looking at them. Wow, I've never seen so many Mallards in one place.
B.
Post a Comment