Winter finally arrived here in the tri-state.....brrrrrrrr! It was spitting snow and blowing real hard all day. The birds were frantic for food and the food kept blowing out of the feeders and off the railing, so mostly I just threw it in the bushes and on the ground where it was going to end up anyway.
I thought it was rather fun that the Goldfinches were eating their seed on the goldfinch stained glass garden stone :-) Here we have at least 7 Goldfinches, 1 Cardinal male, 1 House Finch male, and 2 Juncos.
Lots of Goldfinches!
A closer look.
The Carolina Wren joined them on the stone.
Mrs. Cardinal. Usually the minute I appear with a camera at the window, the cardinals take off....very jumpy! But when it is really cold like this, they are a little more willing to take a chance so they won't miss out on the food.
Mrs. C up in the tree waiting her turn at the feeder.
Mr. C on the iris garden stone.
Another Mr. C..........I have at least 6 pair, maybe more.
A ruffled looking downy. You can see how the wind is blowing her feathers. Poor things must be so cold!
Two females....they won't share, but I think they all get an opportunity eventually. I try to have suet in several places.
A Song Sparrow showed up for the goodies.
Another shot of it.
This is the female Towhee to go with yesterday's male. You probably can't tell in this photo that she is much more brown in color. The male was nearby in the bushes, but not in a good photo spot.
Several White-Throated Sparrows have shown up with the Cardinals.
And of course my little fat and fluffed up Wren :-)
The "ruffled" rear view :-)
Hope it isn't as cold tomorrow and maybe some sunshine! I will have to go buy more seed when the weather gets like this. At least the huge flocks of blackbirds that are zooming around the area have been easy to chase away so far. We have a corn field next door to our neighborhood, and so far they are staying in the fields mostly. I have had to yell, "shoo" a couple times at them when they started to settle in my trees.
8 comments:
Cute
Winter arrived down here in Tennessee as well with cold and snow. The birds here are also going through the food like mad. We have lots of finches, as well as several bluebirds.
The colorful stepping stones add to the beauty of the birds. We too have got winter now,cold and snow.
HI Mary, we have most of the same birds that you have at our feeders... They REALLY ate alot today ---all day long...
We have mostly finches, but several Bluebirds, Cardinals, Tufted Titmice, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Carolina Wrens, Juncos, Downys, Red-bellied, Northern Flickers, Doves ---and I'm not sure what else...
I am so happy to feed them on days like today.
Stay WARM... Great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy
What amazing garden steps! They have wonderful inlaid designs on them...would love to see a full picture of each! How cute the birds were feeding on them! And I just love that last shot, of the fluffy rump! :-)
Your weather is a good chance to get a variety of nice bird shots Mary and these are lovely.
We have it cold and blowing, after the snow! Wind chill is 34 below freezing, so we did not go for a walk this morning. I have no idea what the birds are doing...
You really got some great shots! Wish I had a wren that came here regularly!
Post a Comment