Mike had half the day off, so we went to Blue Grass looking for water fowl, giving me some "Watery Wednesday" shots! (I find it hard to keep track of what day of the week it is right now over the holidays!)
I'll post some water first and the lovely grasses that grow all around these stripper pit lakes.
However, this came first.....we saw this hawk on the way there and even though we turned the car around and came back past him twice, he didn't even move! Not sure what he is looking at here, but it isn't me!
Here he turned his head.
Back to the water :-) I spooked this Great Blue Heron first thing when we stopped to take photos of some ducks we saw on one of the lakes......
So I practiced taking photos of grasses and tried to capture hawks.
I like the big tall grasses that grow around these lakes.
Mike was playing with the manual focus here.....much more successfully than when I tried.
I like the light glinting off the cattails.
We wondered if this was a beaver lodge, or just a pile of debris.
As we left we saw a cat at a nearby farm sunning itself while watching the starlings in the trees.
I saw a lot of soaring birds in the distance, but these are the best shots of them over the meadows around the lakes.
Just couldn't get close enough to get anything better.
On the way home we took a back route to look for more hawks on poles and found this guy.
As he took off I snapped this quick shot that caught him straight on from the side. I'm just not quick enough on these birds that take off so fast. Mike is usually getting the car stopped and I'm bouncing around and can't get the shot in focus before it is too late. Will keep practicing!
For more Watery Wednesday, click on my sidebar icon.
For more Watery Wednesday, click on my sidebar icon.
Thanks to 2sweetnsaxy for hosting!
21 comments:
Hi Mary, looks like a nice day to be out and about. I think you first bird of prey is that Red-shouldered hawk again, not sure about the others. There's an unID'd duck at the back of the coots, but can't tell what it is. I have fun looking though! (-:
The images are much clearer now Mary and your getting more use to that camera ever day. Nice watery scenes.
Nice shots and I love the way the hawk posed for you even showing his best side. I havent been out since before Christmas 17 days now so your blog is a real treasure thank you. XX Don
Excellant shots Mary and Mike. I love those grasses, and how lucky you are to be able to get out and see what you do. Looks like you are enjoying your new camera!
We're having a blizzard here this morning, with heavy snow, and high winds AGAIN.
Have a wonderful day, and a very Happy New year.
B.
Hi Mary, Best wishes for 2009 look forward to next years posts, Happy New Year. Mike.
Mary: You got some neat shots at the lake. I like your hawk shots. I haven't seen any for several days. That for sure is a Beaver lodge. Those cattail shots are cool.
Have a great New Years.
I think your mystery bird is an American Wigeon. Nice photos. Happy New Year!
These are really nice pictures. I love watchiing birds. Nice hawk.
Thanks for sharing the visit. Really enjoyed the hawk and the grass photos. My favorite of the 3 grass photos is the first one.
In focus or not you are having fun and that's what counts! Have a happy New Year birding and photographing!
A very delightful post.I like the ones of the reeds and grasses.
Blessings,Ruth
Terrific shots! I think my favorite is the one of the cattails. The beauty of nature is astounding, isn't it? You've made me want to get up, throw some close on and run up to the lake for a few minutes with my camera.
Happy New Year!! :-)
Beautiful pictures and area, Mary.. Where is Blue Grass??? So pretty there!! Love the tall grasses.
Hope you and Mike have a fabulous 2009.
Hugs,
Betsy
Wonderful pictures, Mary, and you're still finding so many interesting places to take pictures, and with no snow! All the best to you and your family for the new year. I have been down with a bad cold for most of the holidays and haven't been out for almost two weeks now!! Hopefully I will get back on line again after the new year settles in.
Thank you for all the wonderful support and friendship you have sent my way over the past year.
Happy New Year,
ann
Wonderful Mary! You have a great New Year!!
I love both of those cattail shots!! I haven't managed to get one worth even keeping, let alone sharing, so I am really jealous of your success!!
Not to mention the fact that you had a lovely sunny day!!
Happy New Year!
Your Mike reminds me of mine, he goes with my too, driving while I take pics or jump out of the car.
I enjoyed your pics and want to wish you a great new year! So nice to have met you through blogging.
Hi Mary,
Aren't we lucky girls to have hubby's that enjoy photography, too!!! I enjoyed seeing your pictures. There's always something interesting to photograph around water.
Happy New Year!
I see we have a pro photographer in the budding here!! I love these Mary.
I was going to tell you that yeah, that is a beaver lodge...also, the third photo up from the bottom looks like a Norther Harrier to me.
Thank you everyone! I'm sorry I didn't respond to any of these comments...behind as always...but think I got around to all of the blogs. I hate it when I don't get around to see what you all are posting!
Post a Comment