Friday, December 19, 2008

And then there is the opposite sort of day.....

Yesterday I had few photos to post.....then today, the birds were everywhere and some interesting things as well! I love this wren! I think he's singing Christmas carols :-)
He was having a lot of trouble deciding where to attack this feeder from. Here he is using his tail to help balance!

I included this photo because it shows his nice eye stripe and side colors.

Here he's trying the "one foot on the cage, one foot on the roof" approach. At one point he was up on his claws...really funny looking.

Then there is the "stand on your head" approach.
Maybe instead of singing in that first photo, he was complaining about this feeder!
I had a very odd Goldfinch today.....almost white! Is this one of those birds that is leucistic? I haven't seen any before, but I have never seen a Goldfinch this pale in its winter plumage.
Very creamy looking, but pretty!

The White-Breasted Nuthatch stopped by.
The squirrels were everywhere.
I have at least 3 Titmice.....isn't he shy looking?

He was having a balance problem here....need to move this cup out a little. Look how he turns that claw sideways. Birds seem to have very flexible feet.
Well that wasn't everybody that showed, but I'll save a few for tomorrow in case it is another slow day :-)

18 comments:

me ann my camera said...

The wren is very pretty; I love its brownish, yellowish colours. Its almost as acrobatic as Starr!

John Theberge said...

Great photos, the birds have finally started coming to my feeder. I haven't updated my blog in a while because I'v been busy with work. I'll start posting again after the new year.

Kingsdowner said...

Quite charming photos, with a real Christmassy feel.

A question - what are the 'four calling birds' in the 12 Days of Christmas carol?

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

I just love to visit your blog, the bird pictures are incredible!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What an awesome series of pictures.The pale Goldfinch is very unusual.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

I love the ones of the wren! And shy is the correct word to describe how a titmouse looks...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat series of great captures. Your wren was just precious as was the titmouse.

Becky said...

More fantastic pictures Mary. You do have the best luck with them.
That wren is adorable.I do wish mine would come back.
That finch sure is weird. Maybe some sort of albino cross?
We saw 2 really large Fox suirrels while out yesterday, and I immediately thought of you and "Star".
Have a happy Friday.
We're having a major snow event!
B.

Eve said...

I think that wren was not happy Mary! I love your pale goldfinch, hopfully he'll do as well as my pale dove. Can't wait for more.

Mary said...

Ann: It was working real hard to find the best place to attack the suet from!

John: I understand and am glad to know you are well and will be back.

Kingsdowner Steve: Just found this information: "The fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me
Four Colly birds . . .
(Now "Calling birds", but originally "Colly birds" = black birds., "Colly" means "black as coal" in old English, as in "colliery".)"

Rottlady: Thank you!

Ruth:Thanks...I've never seen one that pale before.

Rose: I was really enjoying the wren and took about 20 photos!

Fishing Guy: Thanks!

Becky: Thanks. I don't know why the goldfinch is light colored, but have seen people talk about "leucistic" so thought that might be it. I don't know how you tell. Fox Squirrels are bigger then the grey squirrels. In winter they tend to be very fat and fluffy and pretty. My squirrels are multiplying in the cold weather. More on that for Sunday :-)

Mary said...

Eve: Your comment sneaked in while I was posting :-) Wren's are so much fun to watch. The Goldfinch seemed happy and healthy...we'll see.

sandy said...

They will get into all sorts of positions to get that food!

cute photos.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I LOVE your birdie pictures, especially that precious wren. Is that a Carolina wren???? The colors are similar.

We have alot of Goldfinches--but I've never seen one that pale in color. Interesting.

I love the Nuthatches. We have them also--but it's hard to get pictures of them.

The Titmice are always one of my fav's --along with the chickadees.

Great shots..
Hugs,
Betsy

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I get the idea that the robin has been taking arobics lessons from Star and is now showing you how much he has learnt. LOL!! A lovely post Mary. Isn't it funny how one day there is so much around and the next day nothing.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Wonderful - pretty, pretty birds.

Mary said...

Sandy: They do adapt to whatever is necessary :-)

Betsy: We share the same favorites :-)

Joan: That is a Carolina Wren rather then a Robin. I'm glad the bird traffic is picking up again.

Anne: Thanks!

2sweetnsaxy said...

It must be great to have this many birds visit your yard. I love that shot with the bird with one foot on the cage and one on the roof. Amazing! :-D

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: I love having them all, but it costs me a fortune in birdseed!