Saturday, December 27, 2008

The only snow I see are geese....

We went back to Henderson Slough so I could see if I could get better photos with the new camera.......I'm certainly convinced! The camera doesn't make up for what I don't know how to do as a photographer, but it sure gave me better photos to work with for cropping. (click on any photo to make it larger) In a small pond a group of ducks were swimming and these Mallards all decided to take off at once.
Mixed in with them are these "mystery" ducks (?) with white or light color on the face. Any ideas? I see nothing in my book that looks like them. (I've learned that the mystery ducks are American Widgeons)

Is this a Black Duck tagging along? Or just a dark looking female Mallard?

Again....a few of these look like they might be Black Ducks.


The goose mixture was still there that we saw last week, but my photos are much sharper and I can even crop them closer without them being blurred.
Last week we saw the White Fronted Geese and the Snow Geese, but I did not notice the 2 different types of Snow Geese because the photos were not good enough. This time they were very evident and even both kinds of juveniles!

The dark version of the adults is really interesting and varies quite a bit. My book says they winter in the Mississippi River valley, so I guess near the Ohio River is appropriate for them!

They really are beautiful and I was fascinated by them! I know that I'm showing way too many photos, but between my awe at the new camera and the neat geese, I can't help it :-)

Still plenty of the White Fronted Geese mixed in with the Snow Geese.

A couple landing. In general my aerial shots are still terrible, but when down close like this, I do better. Much to learn!

A mixture

Squatting in the water and corn

Several of these shots show both the White and the Dark Snow Geese, plus the junvenile of each type.


Another landing

They love this cornfield.....at least I didn't spook them this time while taking photos.
Ducks and geese

Well.....I probably won't get back there for a while, so that is all the geese you have to look at for now :-) I will certainly remember where to find them next year at this time.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I can see the difference Mary.
Have you got it set on the largest megapixel setting?

Mary said...

We think it is! Still trying to figure out lots of stuff. I can see a big difference in the pixels. These birds are pretty far away and yet, I can bring them in close and still have clarity.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary... There's a HUGE difference in the pictures now and the previous ones.

My little digital camera is not that good when it comes to zooming. SO--I have to holler at George to take some of my bird pictures for me with his 'good' camera. Does that mean I need a camera like yours now????? Hmmmmm... Is it time for Christmas yet????? ha ha
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures,and ,no,you are not showing too many.I enjoyed each one.When I got my better camera,I found that the learning curve was pretty steep,yet a lot of fun.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

Way to go Mary! I can tell a difference also. I looked up your camera at digital preview, so I know what it looks like. I think you got a winner here.

Mary said...

Betsy: This one is going to have to be it for a long time...too expensive to step up any more and my knowledge is not up to it...or my patience. I'm not capable of thinking of a dozen things while trying to take a photo. Point-shoot...that's me!

Ruth: I know I need to learn more...but it is going to come very slowly.

Rose: I think it will take care of my needs for a long time.

Becky said...

My goodness Mary, what a time you must have had watching all these geese. You did get some marvelous shots. There were so many how did you decide when to leave there?
I didn't know there were so many colors of the Snow Geese.( I checked mt Sibley's )
You were a good photographer before the new camera ! Carry on and have more fun!
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Thanks..Hard to take bad photos with such lovely subjects and so many of them!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You certainly have a winner here Mary. Having a good camera makes a big differents. I love the one of the ducks taking off.

abb said...

Wow! A new camera! I'm envious! Your photos are just wonderful, but I'll have to study closely to see the difference as your photos are always wonderful!
Haven't been able to visit as much lately - been working long long hours closing up and moving Stuart Collection to their new home. Hopefully that'll be over in the next few days and I'll be able to stop by more regularly. (But looking forward to my Sunday squirrel fix! ;-)

sandy said...

So glad you are enjoying your new camera. Good pics and keep posting..
That's what I like about my new one, the ability to crop and still get a clear pic.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks! The ducks were an accident :-) I didn't scare them this time...don't know what did, but I got lucky!

Annie:I hope everything works out for your friends in their new place.

Sandy: I like it, but need to learn so much and I'm not good at learning from a manual. Just the greater clarity alone is enough to make me happy.

abbey meadows said...

Lovely pics Mary. I'd love to see Snow geese in those numbers. The mystery ducks in the second photo are American Wigeon.

Kingsdowner said...

Great images mary - i'm currently rereading a book by a Brit, following Snow Geese from texas to Canada in the spring, progressing as the snows recede. Theses photos are a great accompaniament.
I didn't realise how 'dark' the dark-phase birds are.
Thanks!

Mary said...

Abbey Meadows: Thanks for the ID on the ducks! If I had spotted them while there, I might have tried to get a better photo, but I thought it was all Mallards.

Steve: Glad I could provide some photos to go with your reading :-) I had never seen either the white or dark phase of these geese until a week ago, so I was really fascinated with them! The color patterns creeping up the necks of the dark ones look so interesting and the white on the wings. Odd to think they are both the same goose!

Judy said...

No such thing as too many pictures when the models are this good looking! I especially like the take off at the beginning!
Thanks for sharing!