Saturday we drove to Henderson, KY to a slough refuge for birds that a friend of Mike's told him about. I had no idea what to expect, but had been told there were lots of water fowl and he had seen Tundra Swans. Sounded interesting!
After we found the place this was our first sight off to the right of the road.....
....these are not real....these are decoys (they fooled me...how embarrassing)! I have never seen a field full of decoys before! I would have loved to inspect them....they looked real! Hunting is allowed on this side of the road.
On the left side of the road, is the refuge and there are places to stop and climb up on platforms where you can look out over the field.
This field is full of REAL geese! 100's of them! (click on any photo to make it larger)
I decided to try to move closer across the field.....which I don't think I was suppose to do.
As I got fairly close.....they spooked and swarmed into the air! I was scared to death that I might have driven them into a hunter's range!
100's of geese
I'm not good at flight shots, but with this many in the air, I had to catch at least some!
My closest shot in the air
If you click on the photos, you can see more details. These 2 look different, but I think they are both Greater White-Fronted Geese.
We drove a little further and found a spot where the corn field is flooded and the geese and Mallard ducks were swimming.
Again....the are the White-Fronted Geese (a new species for me!)
The white on their faces was easy to see even without the camera or binoculars.
The water stretched a long ways and I could see white birds at the other end. We tried to drive closer and then when the car was sort of bottoming out, I got out to try to walk very slowly that way.
You can't see them, but the corn is full of geese!
Once again, I caused a major flight to happen! Suddenly the sky was full of white Snow Geese as well as the White-Fronted Geese! I have never seen anything like this and both species are new to me! Wow!
I just kept snapping photos and hoping for the best.
100's of white geese!
Driving down the road a bit more and the corn was mowed in rows between the standing sections. At the end of each mowed sections you could see the white geese! This is about how far away they are. I'm standing across the road looking down the field.
I tried to zoom as much as I could (I should run home and unwrap my new camera!)
As I got fairly close.....they spooked and swarmed into the air! I was scared to death that I might have driven them into a hunter's range!
We drove a little further and found a spot where the corn field is flooded and the geese and Mallard ducks were swimming.
16 comments:
Mary: Beautiful captures of the geese and ducks. Your photos are wonderful and you did well to make these neat captures.
Oh Mary---how neat!!!! That had to have been a magical day for you.. It's like you said, a great Christmas present. The pictures are awesome. I enjoyed blowing them up and looking at all of those birds..WOW!!!
Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy
This is great Mary! I've never seen the Greater White-fronted goose either. Those last 5 birds are swans. They very well could be the tundra...I see only black on their bills. Good job!!!
Thank you all! This was a great place! When I saw all the geese in the field, I was excited, but when all those geese rose into the air from the corn and water...wow! I just wish I was a really talented photographer with the right equipment and know-how to use it! I wanted close-ups so badly, but they were too nervous for that. I wish this place was a little less isolated and that I had someone available to go back with to take more photos during the week. I'll definitely go back, I hope while they are still there!
Wow,that;s a lot of birds.I love the in flight photos,they can be so dificult to get right.Yours are spectacular.
Blessings,Ruth
Hi Mary,
How lovely to see all those Geese. What's this about unwrapping a new camera???
My goodness Mary, I've never seen so many geese in one spot. You got some great shots.
I've never seen either of those geese either, and I'm sure your last picture is the Tundra Swans. They have the long neck and the black legs. Lucky you!
A great Christmas present indead!
We're buried under nearly a foot of the white stuff. No venturing out today.
Amazing blog with splendidly posts, a lot of information and beautiful photographs!
Merry Christmas!
Wow! That was a lot of geese and your shots are wonderful. The in flights ones are magnificent. I always seem to miss them like them. I can never aim the camera fast enough.
Mary, the geese were thick here today. Well, a bit west of me...about 10 minutes away. I got some pictures which I will show later in the week. Most are not as good as yours though.
I still have not forgot the meme about favorite things about nature, just having trouble coming up with what I want to say.
Ruth: Thank you...it was an awesome sight to see so many.
Roy:It's waiting! Your advice was very useful!
Becky: I've never seen anything like this before. I wish I knew how to get closer to them. I hate spooking them into the air with hunters around.
Kostas: Thanks for stopping by! Will check out your blog later!
2sweetnsaxy: I don't do flight shots very well...I lose them while trying to track them and focus. With this many, I was bound to get some :-)
Rose: Look forward to your shots...it's cool to see so many. I know you are busy right now, so I didn't expect you to do the meme thing right away or even at all. I don't ever want to pressure anyone to do one of those things.
What awesome photos! It sounds like you had an amazing time! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
LOL!! MY GOODNESS!!!! I have NEVER seen so many geese in one place at a time. WOW Mary!! How do they find swimming place let alone food when there are so many? Excellent shots of them.
A superb experience. I'd have loved to see some Snow Geese in my trip to Canada, but it wasn't to be.
Do Snow Geese hang around in your area through the winter?
(sorry, another question!)
Portland: Thanks!
Joan: Apparently they really like the shallow flooded field and the ready supply of corn. The Ohio River is almost within sight of this place so there is plenty of water a short flight away.
Kingsdowner: It was very amazing and I just wish I could have been closer to them. I've never seen a Snow Goose before, so I don't know if they hang around in places like this in the winter in our area or not. The bird book map only shows them as migrating through. I hope they stay long enough for me to go back at least one more time with the new camera!
Oh wow..a wonderful waterfowl day. I loved the series and sharing in your excitement..
Post a Comment