Monday, December 29, 2008

Trying to get back to normal.....

Well...things have been up and down over the holidays. Our weather is really strange right now. 2 days before Christmas we had a period for about 2-3 hours with icy rain. Our son slid into a power pole doing this damage to our jeep. Thankfully, he is fine....a swollen banged up knee. I had a photo of the new power pole we are responsible for paying for, but I can't find it. With the holidays we haven't found out yet how expensive the jeep damage will be. Power poles always seem to win in a head to head battle.
I got this book for Christmas from my sister, Marge and am looking forward to exploring it and the DVD that came with it, when I get some normal time again. The DVD is about his Falkland Island 70th birthday trip. Looks pretty good!

Ozma thinks that golf played from a recliner has definite advantages over the real thing. So does Mike.

I've been out a little but not really seeking photos or with a destination in mind. This was from the car on the way home from somewhere.

A downy female back home.

A goldfinch on the bag. The birds have been rather few and far between the last few days. We have had temps as warm as 70 and as low as 40 in the day time! Good build up for a tornado if this keeps up.

An Opossum, the only marsupial found in America.......a not-so-welcome visitor. He digs around under the feeders seeing what he can find. I think they are nasty looking and don't really like having them around. He climbs on the deck and emptys any feeder he can reach. They are so hard to scare off that he didn't mind me opening the door and taking flash photos.

We've had some dramatic skies with all the strange weather. I'll save some for Skywatch since I haven't participated for a couple of weeks :-)
Well, tomorrow it is back to work and trying to get back to a normal schedule....until New Years arrives and messes up the week again!

22 comments:

abbey meadows said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog. Pleased to hear your son is ok. Cars are just bits of metal and plastic (expensive ones) that can be repaired. I love the header photo of the Snow geese, we have a single Snow goose over here but are unsure of it's origin. Lovely pics as usual. Have a lovely new year.

Goosey said...

Glad your son is OK, what a nasty shock though for you.
What is the little creature in your photo? We don't see them in the UK but from what you say they are pests.That John Stott book looks good, I have read some of his other stuff. Happy New Year to you!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am glad your son is okay but how awful about your car Mary. They are so expensive to fix nowdays, to say nothing about the pole, but hopefully he will pay for all of this. I will really be pleased to get back to normal next week after all these holidays. I hate these idle times.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Awe Mary, I'm sorry about the accident. I'm glad that your son is okay. That is what counts!!!!!

Love your Downy and Goldfinch picture. Our mesh bag looks so dirty--but I can't quit feeding them to take it in and wash it. Bet they don't care if it's dirty or not!!!! (Guess I need to buy a new bag!!! ha)

We're headed to Hendersonville, TN to check on George's elderly parents today. Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat mix of birds, animal and sky photos. I think the opossum look like a big rat. Sorry to here about the crash. Your right, poles always win.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great pics. I've always thought those opossums were strange looking too. They give me the shivers. Sorry about the jeep but I'm glad your son is okay. Hope it doesn't put a dent in your wallet. :-(

Mary said...

Abbey: I'm glad he's fine and am sure we will get the rest taken care of. Insurance will pay for the pole, but we didn't have collision on the jeep because it was an older one...figures! I really enjoyed the Snow geese I've seen recently...a special treat.

Goosey: I added an ID for the possum. Didn't think about someone not knowing what it was.

Joan: The accident was only about a mile from our house, so we were one of the 1000 whose power got put out for several hours, too :-) A double whammy! The pole is fixed, his knee is getting better, and today we will find out the fate of the Jeep. I'm ready for normal...too much holidays all at once.

Betsy: My bags look pretty dirty, too, but I never thought about bringing them in and washing them. Have a nice time in Hendersonville.

Fishing Guy: Thanks! I need to get out and do some real photo taking. Too many distractions right now and I will have to share my car for a while until the Jeep is fixed....or replaced.

Leedra said...

Sorry to hear about your son.

Love the woodpecker photo!

Cicero Sings said...

Sorry to see your vehicle got smunched ... but glad your son came through okay.

Sounds like you've had quite the weather as well.

I will be glad when things return to normal routine!

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: possums look like large rats and always seem creepy. Yuck.

Leedra: Thanks!

Cicero: I like the present warmth but with all the ups and downs I worry about tornadoes. Should get colder soon. Our worse weather is always in January and February or later.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, that Oppossum is a weird looking thing, are they common or rare or what? Just curious. I love that sky photos, so will look forward to your SWF hopefully this coming Friday. Happy New Year to you!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sorry to hear about your son's accident.Glad that his injuries are not worse,vehicles and poles can be repaired or replaced,people on the other hand can't be replaced.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Jenny: Possums are common where I live, just like squirrels, raccoons, skunks. They only come out at night and are a rather slow moving creature, so they get run over on roads a lot. They eat anything they can find around the feeders. Raccoons are probably worse, but are cuter :-) Possums always just look rather rat like with their bald tail and scruffy fur and long snout.

Ruth: Yes, we are certainly glad he is OK and that the vehicle actually protected him pretty well. Although, the airbags didn't go off for some reason.

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- I can certainly understand when you talk about "getting back to normal" I appreciate the days off, but the two holidays in a row can add a ton of stress and general weirdness!

Tom

Shelley said...

So sorry to hear about your son's accident but so glad he is okay!! The weather has been very icy over in our parts. Love how your kitty makes himself comfortable!

Eve said...

Hi Mary, I've been so busy lately I'm trying to catch up on the blogs. So sorry about the jeep but your son is ok. I love the sky shot, it's beautiful.

The Star post is so cute, but I really love all the geese photos! I hope to see the White-fronted goose someday, that's a beauty.
We've had crazy weather too. All the snow is gone...had some bad wind yesterday, snow and more wind is coming...the ups and downs of winter!! Yuck!!

Mary said...

Tom: I'm lucky to remember what day of the week it is when we have all these holidays together and I can't seem to find time to use the new camera, which is frustrating!

Shellmo: Thanks...Ozma is very good at getting comfortable. She glues herself to your leg and won't move unless you force her.

Eve: I understand with all the holidays, it is a wonder anyone posts right now! We had warm weather again today. I know it will get worse eventually, and I will wish I had this back.

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Normal would be nice! I love my quiet. I need it too.
Glad your son is okay. I remember when the kids were at home and always being worried one of them would have trouble.
Have the happiest of New Years.
Sherry

Becky said...

How did I miss yesterday? Guess it just got away from me.
I wasn't aware you had to pay for a power pole if you hit it. Bummer! It's bad enough to have to pay for the Jeep!
I was afraid the racoons would come out too with all the warm weather last week, but they didn't, and now it has turned cold again.
B.

Rose said...

Glad your son was not seriously hurt! Our son-in-law had an accident in some of the first icy roads we had. He came around a corner and hit a parked car. He wasn't hurt, so that is all that really matters.

Love, love, love that sky picture.

Ozma is a pretty cat...I have never had a tortoise shell.

sandy said...

OH dear, sorry to read about the accident with the power pole, glad he is okay! But it can be costly I imagine. Enjoyed your photos and that marsupial. Beautiful sky photo too.

Enjoy your new DVD, looks interesting.

Don Wood said...

Glad your son is ok cant say the same for your car . Never new John Stott was a birdwatcher I will look out for the book Cya. XX Don