Monday, December 8, 2008

Southern Indiana vs. Ohio.......

No.....I'm not talking about sports here, I'm talking about weather!!
Friday morning it was a typical nice sunny day in Evansville before we left on our trip.
I took photos of this little sparrow. I'm not sure what kind it is. The best I can guess from the photos is an immature White-Crowned, but I really don't know. If someone thinks it is something else, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions! Those brown stripes are so dark and incomplete looking and there is that dot of color right over its beak.

This was a familiar one.....
...the White Throat, although not a very good shot of its throat.

Mrs. C came up on the steps again.

The Mockingbird stopped by to try some suet.

Downy peeking around the suet.
About 2:30 Mike came home and we jumped in the car to head towards Louisville and then up to Springfield, OH.
Mike spotted some deer across the highway on the hillside and stopped for me to shoot a few shots from the car window.

Even though we were on the opposite side of a divided highway, they did not like it when we stopped the car and sat there to take photos!

There were 6 of them scattered along the hillside.

Catching the western rays of the sun.
OK....that is still Indiana and sunshine.

Now we are in Springfield and this is the car in the parking lot of the motel Saturday!
It may not be a lot....but it is still SNOW and I don't want it yet!

It made driving on Saturday a bit of a nusiance, but not too bad.
We made it to Urbana University and watched our nephew get his diploma.
Good job, Brian!
After the graduation we went to Robert Rothschild Farms for lunch and a bit of Christmas shopping.
This is the view from the dining area.

I liked the golden grasses with their touch of snow.

Right outside the window next to our table was a bush with blackish berries that the Cardinal was loving! Unfortunately, the window has a screen and was giving my camera fits trying to focus through it. But you get the idea.
The trip home on Sunday was uneventful and the snow gone by then.
I took some sky photos.....lots of neat clouds on Sunday. Also took photos of Urbana houses as we drove by....would love to explore the town some time. They might show up later in the week if I have nothing else to post.
I'm glad to be back in INDIANA and no snow and plenty of sunshine still!

I know, Becky....this is nothing compared to what you have had already this year!
That's why I live in southern Indiana.....below the snow belt!!

26 comments:

Eve said...

Are you sure you don't want snow Mary...I'll send you some! It's -12 out this morning!!! Too cold for snow at the moment! I think that is a white-crowned you got there! I really like that grass from your trip too!
Glad you had a safe trip!

Goosey said...

What lovely pictures you have taken, I have been recommended to look at your blog by Kingsdowner who has obviously seen a similarity in our interests!I will spend some time having a look back at your stuff...I could be here sometime! BW Goosey

Mary said...

Eve:..No....keep the cold...keep the snow. It is getting cold here down in the 40's and even the 20's, but no snow yet. We usually get ours in January and later.

Goosey: Thanks for stopping by...browse all you want! I believe I've been to your site a couple times, too. It's hard to get to all the ones I want to visit!

DeniseinVA said...

Mary, great photos and that's a lovely road trip. No matter how much we enjoy ourselves, it's always good to get home. Congratulations to your nephew.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I get cold just looking at your pictures Mary!! I am not sure if I would ever be able to live in a place which gets snow. Thos deer are lovely.

Mary said...

Denise: Home is always best :-)

Joan: I don't like the snow either and this was just a small amount. One pretty snowfall a year is plenty for me....and I don't want it to fall on the roads :-) They were pretty deer....but so far away and skittery. I'm glad they were well up away from the road.

The Birdlady said...

Ooh...the "s" word! The birds are wonderful and congratulations to Brian!

kjpweb said...

I love snow pics. (As long as they are not made in my back yard!);)
Cheers, Klaus

Seth and Michelle said...

What a great set of photos! You seem so close to the sparrows and the cardinal. How fun!

Rose said...

I am definitely one that loves coming home after even a day away...
it is not quite as cold here this morn, but there was a thin sheet of ice on everything but it is trying to melt.

I have never even tried to identify the different sparrows...there are so many of them. Saying it is a sparrow is about as far as I go, but you sort of got my interest peaked in trying to identify them now.

Cicero Sings said...

Still, a taste of snow puts one in the holiday spirit but maybe I only equate snow at Christmas because we almost always have snow at Christmas!

Richard Lawry said...

I had an up[ close and personal look at a deer Saturday morning. I saw the deer coming and had time to brake befor it bolted across the highway right in front of me.

An Arkie's Musings

Jenny said...

How lovely to have a Mockingbird come to your feeders! The golden sunlight on those deer is lovely, like yesterdays squirrel pics! (-:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love the pictures of the deer,the light must have been just right.And those frosty grasses,beautiful.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Helen: I don't like the "S" word either.

Klaus: Thanks and agreed.

Portland BAckyard: I was close...sparrow next to the stoop and the cardinal on it.

Rose:Home is best! Sparrows are hard, but I keep trying. This one appears young which makes it harder.

Cicero: A little snow for Christmas is nice :-)

Richies: Scary! I love seeing them, but dread hitting one.

Jenny: Mockingbirds come fairly often in the winter. I was suprised the light was that good on the deer since they were all the way across the highway.

Ruth:They were on a west facing hill and it was late afternoon so I guess they caught it just right.

Becky said...

Glad you are home safe Mary and Mike.
Your little sparrows are so cute.
Actually I'd much rather have your weather! We have freezing rain coming now.
I like the grasses too, and those deer don't look like they have very much of a winter coat..

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- I find central Ohio isn't snowy enough, but that is from someone who grew up in Northeast Ohio!

Tom

Louise said...

Beautiful photos--with and without snow! I love the cardinal and also the grasses.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know that my photos are not enlarging. WordPress changed over the weekend, and I think that must have changed, too. I'll remove the "click to enlarge" notes because I have no idea how to make it work!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat post. Our area of Ohio has been blasted so far this year. I love your deer photos. They look so playful in the photos. There must have been no hunters in that area.

Mary said...

Becky: Well, there really wasn't very much snow, as you can see, but coming from my sunny...still...home I was not ready for it.

Tom: I've been in Ohio for much more snow than that and I'm sure you will have plenty before the winter is over! My family are all from north of you in the Monroevill, Norwalk, Huron area. We usually went to my grandparents between Christmas and New Years when I was young and there was always lots of snow to go walking in the woods and play in.

Louise: Hope you find the solution for the photos. One of those blogging nusiances.

Fishing Guy: I've heard that its going to be a "bad winter"...but by whose standards? These deer were right out by the highway, so if they stay there, hopefully no one will be firing guns in the area.

April said...

Beautiful pictures of the birds and deer - a real sweet one of the Downy! I've seen deer tracks here in the snow, but no animals. I'm used to the snow (grew up with it) and prefer it to the rain they get down at the coast.

April said...

I meant to also tell you about my little star ornament. It does look like ice, but it's actually glass. I took it outside one day when the snow was melting and hung it on a spruce bough. A very talented person was selling the stars at a craft fair I went to one year.

Shelley said...

So many great things to see and photograph in your neck of the woods! I loved your female cardinal - looks like she was sassy!

SaraG said...

Great post and the photo's are wonderful.
Safe travels to you!
Take care

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots as always and a little something that always give me a smile as well. This is living.
:-)

Mary said...

April: Thanks...that star really looked like ice and I thought maybe you molded it or something :-)
Shellmo: Usually the female cardinals just look nervous :-) They wait until the late afternoon to come around the most...when it is hard to take photos....but she happened to be right on the steps where I could see her well.

Sara and 2sweet: thanks!