Friday, December 5, 2008

Skywatch Friday......Wetlands skies and the "needle's eye"

It's Skywatch Friday time! Well, there is always sky at the wetlands as well as water and I thought I would post my favorite tree that I call "the needle's eye". Do you see it?
As a quilter, this dead tree sticking up always looks like a needle to me!It would be the easiest needle that I ever threaded! It is located right by .....

......... The bridge over the creek where I watch the ducks right now.

Cattails

There were about 30 Mallards on the creek today.

I thought this was interesting with all the duckweed blocked on one side of this log giving a two color divided look.

Tree reflections are sometimes the most interesting thing in the creek!

It is pretty obvious that Oak trees are very prevalent in this area.
I like looking at all the leaves on the water.....

.....I think I see at least 4 different oaks here. Anyone want to try to name them?

These 3 Mallards were a set of 4 when I walked up......

......but apparently they had a fight because they chased this poor fellow away by himself.

On the way out, I always stop by the front lake to see the "4 Friends". Back in the spring they were the "7 sisters" and I always wonder what happened to the other 3. This group of odd-ball ducks are always on the front lake looking for food.

Well, that is Skywatch....and other.....from the Howell Wetlands!
Click on the icon on my sidebar for more wonderful skies around the world.
Note to my regular visitors: I'm heading to Ohio for my nephew's graduation from Urbana University this weekend, so I may or may not getting any posting and commenting done.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a wonderful post, love the needle try for sure, the green on those Mallards is so beautiful.

Eve said...

Have a nice trip Mary...Good luck climbing up to thread that needle!! I love your oak leaves too but I would just be guessing if I named them...time to get out my tree book!

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

Finally a needle I could thread! I like all the pictures, the reflections, the bridge, and cattails, but my favorite is the duckweed. I love the contrasts and colors in that one!

The Birdlady said...

Stay safe on your trip!

Mary said...

Darla: Mallards are the only ducks I see regularly, so I'm glad they are so colorful and photogenic :-)

Eve: I guess you are right about climbing up there! I just bought a needle threader, but I don't think this one will fit :-) I felt the same way about the oaks...too lazy to look them up, but I was curious.

Rottlady: Are you like me, and they are making the eye of the needle smaller?? Couldn't possibly be my eyes, I"m sure :-) I liked that duckweeed shot, too. There isn't much duckweed left and it really caught my eye.

Helen: Thanks! I always enjoy going over to Ohio, but I just hope there is no snow.

Roses and Lilacs said...

That is an odd assortment of ducks:)

Great skywatch photos. I love the trees reflected in the water.
Marnie

Mary said...

Marnie: Thanks! I've become very fond of those 4 ducks but wish I could fix the wing of the one. They are looking a little scruffy now, but were beautiful in the spring when the water was high and the food plentiful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat look at your needles eye. you had some neat reflective shots on the river.

abb said...

That ~needle~ is just wonderful - and, like you, one I could actually thread.

Lovely group of photos, Mary - and i think those duck in that last photo may be "manky ducks". We have a group here and when I posted photos of them, someone wrote me and told me what they're called.

Thanks for the photo upload info.
When the photos wouldn't embiggen the first time, I reuploaded two more. They worked fine, until I deleted the original two photos. That killed it. POOH!

Have a grand old time at the graduation. What a wonderful live passage to celebrate!

Becky said...

Wonderful pictures Mary, and I love the needle tree. How cool with the duckweed on one side of the log. Great catch.
Once again enjoy your world without any snow! We got another 7" last night!
Enjoy your trip, and drive safe.
B.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, I love that tree that looks like a needle!!

Wishing you safe travels!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a big darning needle Mary, lovely photos. It must be warmer where you are at the moment.

NW Nature Nut said...

I like the needle tree!

Plant ID you ask? How about Pin Oak for the deeply lobed. Do you have Oregon Oak there (for the more scalloped one). Then, I just don't know without getting out the 20#s of field guides I own!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lot of Mallards!! I loved the leaves on the water. That is a great tree with the hole in it. :)

SaraG said...

Wonderful photo's!!
Have a safe trip to Ohio!!
Take care

Reader Wil said...

A lovely series of photos. Water and sky make a great combination.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone...I'm a little too rushed for any more individual replies before I leave.

Annie: Thanks for the "Manky ducks"! I'd never heard of them but looked them up and....yup, I've got manky ducks living at the wetlands! I knew they were mixed Mallards but didn't know that name.

Becky: I'm sorry....how can you stand that much snow and before Christmas, no less?????

Cicero Sings said...

Definitely a needles eye. Love the bridge picture.

Jane O' said...

I love your needle eye tree. I am always drawn to trees without leaves. I like to look at the shape of the branches against the sky. This one is especially appealing with no branches at all.

Carletta said...

Lovely photo essay Mary! I love the 'needle'!
Have a safe trip!

Gretchen said...

The bridge is a place where I could just sit for hours and dream the day away. :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fascinating,the needles eye and reflections.The Mallrds still have such colorful heads,beautiful.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you'd need very large thread for that needle, wouldn't you?

Have a wonderful trip and visit, and bring back lots of great skywatch photos for all of us.

Amy said...

Oh yes, that tree certainly does look like a needle! Neat photo :)

Amy

Richard Lawry said...

All the pictures were great, but the tree that looks like a needle was really cool.

An Arkie's Musings

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful post, Mary! I love the "needle tree" and the ducks, and the duckweed on one side of the branch. But they are all just marvelous! It's a great Skywatch post! Sorry I didn't get to it before now!

Marie