Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A good bird day.....

Yesterday while driving home, I took a different road and saw 2 hawks....one on each side of the road. There wasn't any traffic, so I stopped to take photos. The one immediately joined the other.....which was nice of him....so I could get them both in one shot.The one on the right is ready to take off, but the one on the left posed a little longer.
As usual, I have no idea what type it is.
When I got home, I spotted this Flicker in the maple tree when I got out of the car! Glad I had the camera, because I haven't seen a Flicker in years!

I hope it hangs around. Maybe it's been visiting when I wasn't looking.

I got a couple of shots before it flew away.

Mr. Cardinal, willing to pose.

A Junco cleaning up the front step. Usually when they are on the ground among the seed, I have trouble getting the bill to come into focus. This one is nice and clear for a change! I like their pinkish bill.

It was only about 10 degrees yesterday and everyone was hungry! The Blue Jay stopped by to see what was there. I had thrown some peanuts out in the drive and they all disappeared, so I would guess he got a lot of them.

A spattering of sparrows :-) The House Sparrows bred so well here this spring that I may have this huge bunch all winter. This is only a fraction of the usual bunch that swarm the deck and drive!

A pretty little White-Throated Sparrow is coming by regularly.

This Downy was flaring its tail to tell the one on the right to get off the suet block! The males are very territorial at the feeder!

He's really digging in here at the other suet block.....and the light is better.

Star came across his aerial route to the feeder while I was photographing the Flicker. It is funny to watch him go from tree to tree never touching the ground. Safer for him then crossing the road, so I'm glad he seems to be pretty smart. I believe it takes him 5-6 trees to get from nest to feeder.

He was pleased to find out the woodpeckers had not eaten all the food.
The hawks and Flicker were a real plus, but I enjoy my regular home birds just as much :-)

16 comments:

abb said...

What wonderful pictures of your bird friends! We're cold here too, but tomorrow up to 45 degrees. So we'll have a slushy Christmas...white but slushy.

Thank you, my friend, for your kind words. They are much appreciated.

Becky said...

Aren't you glad we have our feathered friends to keep us enertained during the winter. Love your bird shots! and as always "Star" is the center of attention.
I see you have NO snow yet. I think you need SOME ! LOL
Today late we're supposed to get freezing rain. What strange weather we have been having.
I'm wondering if you got my email ? ?
B.

Dorothy said...

Mary,
You make such wonderful pictures of your birds!!! I need lessons on how to get that close!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful bird shots, Mary. Our flickers are gone. We had quite a few this summer although they wouldn't come to the feeders. The Northern Flicker is a beautiful bird, isn't it??? The woodpeckers we've had since summer are the Flicker, Pileated, Downy, Red-bellied and Red-headed. The ONLY ones so far to come to the feeders are the Red-bellied. Of course, I didn't put out suet until recently --so they haven't found it yet.

You have multi-sparrows like we have multi-siskins!!! The rest of my little birds really have to work hard to find room at the feeders when the Pine Siskins are around!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Annie:We will have a fairly warm Christmas...no white stuff. I hope your week improves.

Becky: No, thanks, but I hope you have less soon! Our snow usually comes in January or February if we get it. I haven't gotten your email yet. Maybe you should check the address again. mvfreeman@juno.com

Dorothy: Well, my feeders are close to the house, and other then that it is all in how much zoom you have.

Betsy: They'll find the feeders! My downys are very faithful...a couple pair at least. The Red-Bellied doesn't like coming as close, but will if hungry. As yet, I haven't seen a Pileated this year. I NEVER see a Red-headed woodpecker at my house. I wonder why? I've only had a few siskins so far and many of my goldfinches disappeared further south. I have way too many House sparrows, which is unusal for me and I don't like it. The other sparrows I only get 1-2 at a time.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat look at the birds you saw. The photos were really well done.

Anne på Moseplassen said...

your cardinal is soooo pretty! What a color!

And, today I saw a dome house on TV, and it made me think of your. Is yours from this company? do they look the same? (aproxematly). It was really nice, and seamd like lovely home! (.... pictures of the inside and outside of your home prityyy pleeeeeease... ;) ) (new camera begs to be used?..)
http://www.naturalspacesdomes.com/about_us.htm
this is the one on the tv: http://www.naturalspacesdomes.com/bear_creek_dome/index.htm

And, I whish you a lovely christmas!

Mary said...

Fishing Guy: Thanks!

Anne: After Christmas I promise I will put together a post about domes. All domes are similar, but ours came from a company called Domes and Homes. Don't know if they are even still around! I have photos of ours being put up as well as current photos. I started to work on this one day, but got distracted!

Katney said...

Last week I passed an eagle one day, and a great blue heron standing on an ice shelf in the pon the next. In both cases I was moving too fast to pull over effectively to get a shot. Can't just stop in the middle of the freeway, can we? Well, we could, but it wouldn't be the wisest choice.

The third day I made the trip I was watchful, but neither were present.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I bet you were glad that you had your camera with you,you never know what will show up.I think the hawk might be a Red-tail.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I'm back.
Tried emailing you again. How about if you try to email me?
glinto@stny.rr.com

sketched out said...

It's always such a treat to pause from a busy day and take a gander at your lovely photos!

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Mary!!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone and Merry Christmas to all of you!

RamblingWoods2.com said...

I'm not sure about the hawk, it looks big and may be a red-tailed, but I am not good with them. Lovely photos of the birds...I have too many house sparrows here too and today a large flock of starlings came in too...No wonder I am going through so much seed..

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A wonderful selection Mary. I am so far behind today with my commenting, it seems like everyone has two blogs for me to comment on. Yesterday was just too busy!!

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, just beautiful birds and those squirrels too.