Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Car tour through parts of Urbana, Ohio.....

My World this week is part of our drive through Urbana, Ohio. I wasn't able to get out and wander around and shot these through car windows....not the best way to take photos!

We spent last weekend in Urbana, Ohio for my nephew's graduation from Urbana University.

Urbana University was founded by the Swedenborgian religion. This is an off-shoot sect of the Lutherans. The most famous Swedenborgina is John Chapman, also known as Johnny Appleseed! This lovely old chapel is the Swedenborgian Wedding Chapel.


I had to crane my neck to try to get it's very tall tower in the photo!



There are a lot of nice old houses throughout Urbana and I would love to explore the area more fully some time.



The blobs on the photos are of course big wet snowflakes on my car windows!


The city was being nicely decorated for Christmas.


Downtown there were some old buildings with dates that looked interesting.


Another neat old building.
I'm sorry that I don't have better information or better shots! But when it is snowing and you are being driven through a town, it is hard to get much :-)

That's My World for this week! For more My World, click on the link in my sidebar.

(My nature post follows this one.)

20 comments:

The Birdlady said...

Lovely - especially with the Christmas decorations.

Marites said...

beautiful buildings and i find the Christmas deco very nice touch:)My world is here

Eve said...

You did a fine job Mary! I love to see the buildings! Waiting for more!

Anonymous said...

You find interesting things to photograph where ever you go. Thanks for sharing this part of your world with us.

Rose said...

Mary, this is a wonderful post! I don't know which is my favorite...of course I love the wedding chapel...but then I love the other places you have shown.

Louise said...

What a picturesque town! I really love the old houses.

Don Wood said...

very nice old Town be nice to see some more if you go back. Love the house with the decs all symetrical pn each window Don

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos of your trip to Urbana! It looks like such a pretty city - beautiful buildings especially the wedding chapel!

Becky said...

I love looking at old homes, especially the bigger ones, and when they are all decorated for the holidays.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! It seems to be a nice quaint old town and there was a lot I would like to have seen better if it had been walking weather and a bit more time than we had....maybe next trip.

The Birdlady said...

Mary it looks from their site that Jinglebones is an Indiana tradition..souunds great though - lots of sliding!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I love the shot of the blue house with a wreath in each window.This looks like a decorator magazine picture.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Helen: Could be!

Ruth:I wish that I had gotten more photos, but it just wasn't the right time. I went to a wonderfully decorated house here today, but they don't allow photos...darn!

Anonymous said...

Me again - I hope you don't mind, but I've tagged you for a meme. The background is in my blog post at http://wrenaissance.com/2008/12/my-top-5-birding-locations/ but instead of 5 places, I'm asking you to share the five greatest joys you find in nature.

Thanks, and I hope you'll play.

Carletta said...

Great examples of some great architecture!
The red doors on the chapel really pop.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Nice capture of the look of a neat town.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Some nice old building there Mary.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone and Wren, I will give it some thought and see what I can come up with!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Thanks for the tour. You know what these remind me of, especially with the snow? The little houses that you buy to build a Christmas village. I swear I have one that looks just like one of those houses.
:-)

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Lovely tour for My World..I haven't done one is a few weeks as I haven't been anywhere recently except the doctor and my yard..LOL..
New Rambling Woods Site