Friday the sun came out for the first time in about a week....I was getting tired of grey sky.

I shot this off the back deck....

The birds were glad to see blue sky and clouds, too!

the White-Breasted Nuthatch was up.....

.....and he was down.

I had a Junco the other day with a leg problem....it shouldn't stick out that way! She seemed to be feeding fine, if awkwardly.

These are the best photos that I've ever gotten of a Red-Bellied Woodpecker's belly! Usually they have it up against the tree and I can't see it. It really looks red in these, which is how it got it's name!

He was really showing off his "six-pack" abs......such control and balance!

And a contortionist, too! Makes my body hurt just to watch!

All right, show-off! Enough!
Made a brief stop at the wetlands.....the temps felt like Spring yesterday....I didn't even have on a heavy jacket!

Nothing much to see but the Mallards swimming in the stars :-)
17 comments:
We had an absolutely beautiful day here yesterday, after a week of cloudy rainy freezing weather. It really lifted my spirits
An Arkie's Musings
Richies: I know what you mean! We've had the same gloomy rain and yesterday was like spring had come back!
That is a great Mallard in the stars image Mary.
I absolutely love the woodpecker pictures! We finally had some sunshine yesterday too. Woohoo!
Hi Mary-
Beautiful sky. I saw a bit of it for about 10 minutes, and then it was "all gone". Gray again this morning.
Tom
Such nice shots as usual. I love the reflections in the last shot. Looks like the stars fell from the sky to land on and float in the water. Awesome! :-)
Beautiful blue skies.Love the pictures of the Rde-bellied's belly.This is an angle not usually seen.And ,Oh,the Mallards among the stars,Gorgeous.
Blessings,Ruth
You know what? i think that is the very first time I have ever seen the belly of a Red-bellied woodpecker. there was one that came around very often for a while. I am glad you got these photos--now I really see why they are called that.
Mary,
I just love your blog and look forward eagerly every day for pictures of your world and nature all around you.
The picture of the mallards in the stars is especially lovely. I didn't see a way to contact you, but I'd like to ask permission to use your pictures on one of my blogs (with credit and copyright noted to you). I don't have contact on my blogs either so I can tell I need to set that up.
Wishing you a magical holiday and sending you much appreciation for your love and caring for our "outdoor friends."
Very nice Mary...oh how I wish it felt like spring here!!
Mary, Love your pictures!!! That's the first time I've actually 'seen' the red-belly of the Red-bellied Woodpecker. We have them --but they never show their bellies to me!!! ha
The nuthatch is a beautiful bird also, isn't it? I posted some birdie pictures today also.
Hugs,
Betsy
All are very nice, but I love the sparkling water!
Nice post Mary and thanks for the nudge, if you could send a bit of sun this way that would be great.
Roy: Thanks! That kind of shot is fun to do :-)
Rottlady: Thanks...isn't it great to get a little sun?
Tom: The sun went away again today, but it was nice while it lasted!
2sweetnsaxy: Thanks..what a sweet way to put it. It is really an easy effect...just stand so the sun shines on the water and shoot. Usually in the afternoon when I do it.
Ruth and Rose: I have tried for years to see the Red-bellied's belly and this was the first time he ever showed it so easy to see!
Suzanne: Thanks for thinking of me, but I think I would like to decline, since I post them in my own blog :-)
Eve: Thanks!
Betsy: I was surprised at how much red was actually there, once I saw it!
Helen: Thanks...that seems to be a favorite.
Mike: You'll have to get the sun somewhere else...it left here!
It is lovely to hear that it is warmer Mary. Grey skies can really put a damper on your spirits if they last too long. This woodpecker is lovely and a real show-off too. Not that I can blame him!! LOL!!
You didn't even wear a heavy jacket? I'm so envious.It was 10ยบ here this morning, but clear blue skies.
The photos of that woodpecker are wonderful. I haven't seen mine in a few days now.
Somehow birds with feet and leg problens seem to do just fine.
B.
Love the nutty and the red-bellied. Poor Junco with her leg like that...
Post a Comment