Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fragrant Farms.......too early

We drove to New Harmony, IN today and I always stop by Fragrant Farms to see what flowers they have blooming.  They have 100's of peony bushes but it was about a week too early and most are only at the bud stage.
 I think this pink one looks almost like a wild rose....except larger :-)
 I like looking at the center of each one.
 The delicate color on this variety is very pretty.
 A bud ready to open on a deep pink one.
 A nice single petal type pink.  I'd like to have a one of each of these.
 The bushes.  You can see all the ones full of unopened buds beyond them.
 Another center.
Another bud hiding in the shade.
A frilly white one.  Not one of my favorites, but I do like peonies of all kinds!
 The only other flowers blooming today.....with bug.
 There was some sort of artist event going on at the other end of the peony fields.  We tried to stay out of the way.  New Harmony does lots of painting events and many of them outdoors.  It is a very scenic and historic town with lots to attract the artists.
New Harmony is on the Wabash River, so we stopped for a couple of shots of the river.  I was actually looking for swallow nests under the bridge, but it seems we are a bit early for those yet and there were only old ones and no birds flying around. 
The bridge crossing the river to Illinois.  

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

All those Peonies must be a gorgeous sight.At first I thought that pink one was a wild rose,you had me fooled for a bit.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how I love Peonies... I am going to get some of them one of these days.... Beautiful!!!!

Looks like a wonderful trip and a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Debbie Norman said...

I am so very allergic to peonies. But I do think they are pretty. One of my grandmothers loved them. She had them all around her house. I think of her every time I see them. :)

Caroline Gill said...

I've just matched your peony with my rose ... and yes, Mary, there is a striking similarity (see here and scroll down post a bit). A case of 'all things bright and beautiful'!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!
Ruth: Easy to be fooled if you can't see the size and bush :-)

Betsy: They are gorgeous flowers, but mine always get beat down by the rains. I need to split them, too and never get around to doing it.

Hello, Debbie...long time no see. I checked out your new blog.

Caroline: That is a good wild rose photo and a definite match to my peony, which is many time larger, of course :-)

Cicero Sings said...

An all around lovely outing. I think I could use one of those soon. Peonies are SO lovely.

Becky said...

What gorgeous colors Mary. I absolutely love Peonies, and can't wait for mine to bloom, but that won't be for a while I'm afraid.