I'm really getting desperate for something to post in my blog! When I got back from vacation, my birds had deserted the home feeders and seem to be very slow to come back. Just nothing happening to take photos of. And with the high cost of gas, I am not going out to a lot of my usual places.....sigh.
One of our local parks....Mouteau Park.....is built on a former landfill. It is the place where we always see Meadowlarks in the spring and where I can usually find certain butterflies and dragonflies. On a recent stop there, we spotted this hawk sitting on one of the pipes that release the methane gas from the old landfill underneath this area. Not very pretty to look at, but the birds will perch there.
I think this is a young Red-shouldered Hawk.
The only Meadowlark we saw that day, was on one of the pipes. I hope to see some more there soon and maybe get a better photo than this! We usually can spot the Meadowlarks by listening for them. They sing loudly and then when you figure out the general direction of where they are, they will pop up suddenly from the tall grass and you can spot the yellow on their chests.
5 comments:
HI Mary..Birds of the new generation..lol!! Who needs tree's when there is this nice landing spot.. ; }
I have not seen a Meadow Lark in a long time...pretty bird and lovely song!!
Speaking of pretty your tree in your previous post is gorgeous...nice and cheery to see..!!
Grace
PS..Finally first eye being done tomorrow afternoon!!
At least you got something...I seem to have lost a lot of my desire...I feel guilty if I just go running around. And event though I love the strip pits, not much is happening out there.
At least you have some birds to photograph.I hope you get lots of good shots soon.
I'm having the same problem here Mary. Not so many birds. I'm sure they all have other things on their minds right now. I'll still be here when they are ready to come back. I haven't been taking many pictures either.I must get better.
Have a great day.
I don't think I have ever seen a meadowlark, though I always have wanted to. They sing so wonderfully! The young red-shouldered hawk are nice captures too!
As always I really enjoyed your comments on my posts! I see the eye Dr. tomorrow and hope I can get this thing licked once and for all!
Post a Comment