Friday, April 13, 2012

Blue Grass visit.....

It was sunny but cold, so we drove out to Blue Grass FWA....stripper pits that have been reclaimed....and checked out what birds were around.
 The best find of the day was this Great Blue Heron that was posing right by the side of the road.  We almost always see one on this particular pit.

 The farmers were working on the nearby fields getting them ready to plant, but a few Canada Geese were out picking around for food.  I thought they looked nice in the yellow flowers :-)

 One Killdeer in the field.
 Saw quite a few Robins.....it's spring, after all!
 LOTS of Red-winged Blackbirds buzzing in the trees at us any time we stopped.  I couldn't decide if "every tree has a blackbird" or if "every blackbird had a tree".
 I shouldn't post this pair of blackbirds.  I was getting ready to take a photo of a Meadowlark that was sitting on that tree, when they flew in and chased it away.....grrrrrrrrrr.
 This was rather odd, but not well documented by me.  There were at least a dozen swallows that kept swooping this one area.  They just flew around and around in circles over the edge of the bank and a pipe coming out from under the road and circling up over the road and around my head......didn't seem to mind that I was there.  I could not see any bugs, but they seemed to be very happy doing ....something!  I had very little luck catching any of them in their flight.
 It was fun watching them and they did this for a long time.
Some turtles along the edge of one of the pits.
I need to start going back here regularly now that spring is here and the birds are showing up.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

...looks like a great day of birding. When I first saw your title I assumed you had headed down to Kentucky, but now I see it's an FWA in Indiana. Looks nice...love all the turtles!

Ruth Hiebert said...

All of the pictures are great . I think the Swallows in flight are captured quite well. The Heron looks rather regal.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary. The heron is beautiful!!!

Janice K said...

Especially enjoyed your Blue Heron pictures....What a neat place to go birding!

Roy said...

Super shots Mary, especially the Heron.

Becky said...

But of course another super day of birding for you. Love all your pictures Mary. Even with all the geese around, I still enjoy seeing them. I like the Killdeer too, but find them so difficult to photograph.
Hot temps today.
Have a great week.

Rose said...

I am so ready for a day out...I would pay for a day away almost. ha

Oh, Mary, those photos of the heron are so wonderful....