Thursday, May 17, 2012

At the park.....

I took a little time off from watching tennis (Rome open) and went to the park to chase butterflies and birds :-)  This has been a busy month for tennis and the French Open starts at the end of the month.
Mostly I saw little Pearl Crescents.
A bee flew into my shot. 
More of a top shot.
 A Buckeye butterfly.  They are usually very accommodating and pose open for me.....
....but this one liked to sit close up.  At least I got to see what the underside of the wings looks like. 
 I even found a Cabbage White that held still for a few seconds.

 One of several Mockingbirds that were hanging around guarding their territory.  This one is in a thorny tree of some sort!  Look at the size of the thorns....ouch!
 The Mulberry was ripe and several birds were hanging around waiting for me to go away, so I let them eat in peace.
 A Red-winged Blackbird female sitting on some tall grasses and then she dropped down inside.  Wonder if that is where her nest is.
Catalpa Tree flowers.....so pretty!  They remind me of orchids. 
On the lake I saw this little turtle that kept popping up and looking around.  I liked that I could see his back as well as his head.  Red-eared Slider.
On the way home I spotted these beautiful roses at the edge of someone's property and since there were no other cars around, I stopped in the middle of the road and shot a couple of photos.

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

This is a pot full of beauty. From the butterflies to the roses each picture is wonderful.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow---you certainly saw LOTS of great things at the park!!!! The butterflies are fabulous... Love all of the Spring flower colors too. And that is a great picture of the mocker.
Hugs,
Betsy

Arija said...

So glad you too a break from the tennis to show us what wonders are happening in your part of the world.

Becky said...

I can see you are off to another good Butterfly shoot. I have seen a few around here. I'm hoping for a good year.

Janice K said...

Liked the o e with the. Se and the. Utterfly

Dorothy said...

Great photos, Mary! Love the roses and the shot of the butterfly and bee.

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous shots, Mary! I love the teenaged geese! So cute! I don't think I've ever seen the flowers on a catalpa and they are indeed very lovely! And the butterflies and roses, just perfect. What a great trip to the park!

Rose said...

Nice set of photos...I bet in the last month I have not taken a hundred pictures...just not been getting to be out and about. Hoping that changes soon.