Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dickcissels in the bottomlands.....

Yesterday we drove around west of Henderson, KY in the bottomlands along the Ohio River.  This is the same area where we see the Snow Geese in the winter.  At this time of year all the roads are open and they are mostly gravel roads leading to farm fields.
 We saw dozens of Dickcissels along the edge of the gravel roads.  They like to sit on the short trees and bushes and tall grasses along the road and often would stay there to be photographed, unbothered by our presence in a car.
 They love to open up and sing while they sit there!
 Sometimes the grass and twigs were too much in the way.  This one was swaying back and forth in the wind and I had trouble getting a focus when she would sway into view!  One of the few females I saw.
 Another favorite perch....high up on the wires.  They look somewhat like a House Sparrow except for the touches of yellow at the breast and above the eye.  Their habits are similar, too and they often hang around together according to my Sibley book.
 The male peeking out of the grasses.
 The female swinging into view.  She does not have the black at the throat.
 The female again.
 High wire act :-)
Peeking over the little tree top.  I often see them like this.
They travel in flocks and we saw one about every 50 feet along one stretch of gravel.
*************
These are just some of the "flora" photos I took on the drive.  We travel this one wooded road that has a lot of trees like this with exposed roots.  I always wonder what all might be living among the roots :-)
 Several patches of this soft pink roses along the road side.

 Big thistles!  Don't know which particular one.

 I like their thorny outer covering.
Trumpet Vines along the road. 
 A field of winter wheat. 
 Don't know the name of these white flowers but always like how they look.
Buttercups?  I really don't know but like their sort of 'waxy' look.

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

Mary, Is that white wildflower not Queen Anne's Lace? It looks similar. I used to have some yellow wildflowers that were called Sun Drops that looked kind of like the last photo. I kept them for a long time and shared them with several, but finally lost them. I liked them because it bloomed all summer!
I've never seen a Dickcissel!
Nice shots!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love all the shots today. Those tree roots look amazing and of course the flowers are so pretty. To me the Dickcissel looks somewhat like a smaller Meadowlark.

Mary said...

Dorothy: I think it is related to Queen Anne's Lace but the flowers aren't the big heads like QAL. Maybe Wild Carrot or something of that sort?

Ruth: They do look a bit like Meadowlarks except the beak. But over all size and habit is more like the House Sparrow and so is the back and wings.

George said...

As far as I know, I haven't seen Dickcissels in person, so I found your pictures to be very interesting. I also found your photo of the wheat to be beautiful. I really like the composition.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Love seeing the Dickcissels... I've never seen them before. Beautiful birds.

Love the flowers also --and those tree roots... NEAT!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

George and Betsy: I've only noticed Dickcissels in the last couple of years when I started paying more attention to birds everywhere I went. Try driving along a gravel road near some farm fields and I bet you will see some!

A Colorful World said...

I don't think I've ever seen a Dicksissel....neat bird! You got some wonderful pictures! Oh, and the thistle and other shots of the flora and of that tree root are just wonderful!

Rose said...

I just love the dickcissels...they are such happy birds. And no matter how many years come and go, I always take a few pictures of thistle...it is just one of the prettiest weed around...so is it really a weed?

Becky said...

Now we don't have this bird either. I'm so glad you post all these goodies. Love the roses. We do have these, and they are so fragrant.
Never saw that particular thistle. Really like it. It would make for beautiful shots with a butterfly on board.