Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Odds and ends....

A few odds and ends from recent files.....the home birds.
The Blue Jay comes by each day looking for peanuts or suet. 
 Everybody wants the suet!  This Downy doesn't seem to thrilled to have a House Sparrow interrupt his meal.
I  thought it was interesting to see this one from underneath. 
 Sometimes I'm not sure looking at them if it is a Hairy or a Downy.
 This one is Downy....

....this one might be a Hairy.  The bill seems longer.
A pair of ducks that come by in the evenings to check out the "driveway diner".  This is not my banded female that has come for several years.  I wonder if something happened to her and this is her mate with a new female.  They seem to know where to come looking for seeds.
 I glanced out the window and saw this stack of Goldfinches!  Not very good light on it and shot at an angle.
 This female looks rather wistful....she wants to join the party!
 The Titmouse looking for some suet or peanuts or both.
None of these seem clearly focused to me.  I don't know if it is the light.....or the photographer....or the camera.  Oh, well. 

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

I think your pictures look great, Mary! Nice of you to provide such a nice spread of food for our feathered friends!

Ruth Hiebert said...

All look good to me. I like the Goldfinches.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary.. Always enjoy the bird feeder fella's!!
Like that Titmouse with the bad hair day ...I get up lots of morning with that little tuft sticking up in the back too!! ; }
I sometimes can't tell which is which with the two woodpeckers!!
Grace

A Colorful World said...

Great photos! Love the goldfinches and the titmice!

Rose said...

Stack of goldfinches describes them to a T....I wondered how to tell a downy from a hairy...had not tried looking it up yet. One of those things I keep meaning to do.

Rose said...

Sarah has a pair of mallards that come...she don't know if it is the one that had the babies or different. If so, something must have happened to the babies.

Anyway, she can get right up to them if she is mowing the yard, but if she turns the mower off, they fly away.