Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Osprey nests at Patoka Lake, IN

We went to Lake Patoka, Indiana today for a drive and were thrilled to see two Osprey nests on man-made nesting platforms.  I've seen platforms like this before, but never with a nest or birds.
 They were pretty far out, but I was excited to see them.  I have never seen an Osprey before and both nests had birds present when we stopped to take photos.
This nest had two adults sitting on perches or on the edge of  the nest.






 The first nest we saw, one adult had just snagged something in the water and took it up to the nest.  I sort of caught it landing.  There appears to be another bird sitting on the nest....a female with eggs?
 Both sat on the nest briefly and then one flew to a tree along the edge of the woods and spent some time grooming.


I wish these were better, but it was cool to see a new bird!
There was other activity in the water and around it, so hopefully more posts soon.
(If I don't post for awhile, I'm watching tennis again....French Open)

12 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have seen nest platforms like that,too,but never occupied. That is too cool.Even though they were far away the pictures still tell the story very well.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Glad you got to see a new bird (for you)... Ospreys are gorgeous birds--and they are really busy on those nests, aren't they????? So special.. Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your tennis.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kerri Farley said...

Cool captures!

Dorothy said...

Nice to see the birds on the nest! I've never seen these anywhere.
Hope you tennis team wins!

Janice K said...

How neat to be able to see that!..and even get some picturs.

DeniseinVA said...

Very exciting and your photos are great.

Katney said...

We have platforms like these visible from the freeway along the Yakima River. Always occupied! But to get pictures??? Not very likely.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! Seeing these birds was so interesting since I had never seen any before. This is a very rural area and we were able to pull over at the side of the road on the bridge over the water to take these photos. Probably weren't suppose to stop there, but there was little traffic and we were out of the way. All is fair when trying to get a photo...right??

Becky said...

Cool shots of the Ospreys. We don't seem to have them here. I'm glad someone put up those platforms for them. I would thing they would be safer than the trees or the high tension poles you see them on sometimes.

Cicero Sings said...

So neat that you got to see these birds. D and I were out kayaking once when one dove for a fish not all that far in front of us. Neat-O

A Colorful World said...

This is wonderful, Mary! We had an osprey nesting in an old tree not far from where we lived in NC years ago and I got some similar shots of that family. It was always thrilling to see them!

Thanks for your comment on my anniversary post! Hope you and Mike have a wonderful anniversary too! Congrats!

Rose said...

Oh, how thrilling to get to see them! Even more reason to head that way some day!