Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Odds and Ends.....

Yesterday I stopped in at Mouteau Park to look for Meadowlarks, Kingbirds and butterflies.  Found 2 out of three.  It wasn't a good day for butterflies :-) 
I was watching the Kingbirds on the cable fence, when another bird landed.....a Barn Swallow!  It let me get at least one good photo of its front side.....
 .....and then turned its back on me.  I've never seen a Barn Swallow at this park before and wondered where the nearest barn structure was.  Maybe it was nesting in the rafters of the shelter house, but when the soccer kids began to use the place, it won't be happy with that idea!  Right now the park is very quiet and empty.
 It was preening and picked some funny positions.
 Wish it had been facing me for this mouth open shot :-)
 Such a pretty and colorful bird.
Missed a place under that wing!
The Kingbird shots were not very good.  Sometimes I have a royal battle with my camera trying to convince it that the bird is what it is to focus on rather then the grass and background stuff.  Frustrating.
The Meadowlark was willing to sit still.....but oh, so far away!  I see it on the same pipe every time we visit. It has a nice view from there.
 At home.....the Deutzia bush is blooming.
I think it is lovely as the blossoms spill downward toward the ground.  Mike hates it because he walks into it all the time and it hangs in front of his garage door when it gets really big.  Looks like this will be a year to cut it back shorter.
"The-cat-that-thinks-it-belongs-to-me" was following me around as I was inspecting the flowers, so I took his photo.  A.k.a. "Shadow".  He has pretty much moved into our garage and is determined not to leave.
 Around the side of the house, my last Rhododendron is blooming.  It is really tall!  Those triangle windows are about 10 feet off the ground.  I can stand inside the house and see the blooms, which is nice!
 It is a pale pink and really looks pretty in the sunlight.
Close-up.

9 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

How pretty!!!
PS - LOVE your quilt art with the birdies on your sidebar!!!

Janice K said...

Pretty nice odds and ends I'd say! Oh to have such beautiful flowers in your yard.....and that barn swallow--such pretty colors.

The cat looks a lot like our son's cat who lived with us many years after our son died. I miss them both!

Dorothy said...

The Barn Swallow IS pretty, but we hate them because they daub mud up in our garage every year, trying to build a nest. They are very persistent! WE don't see the Meadowlarks around here. They are a beautiful bird. Speaking of 'beautiful', your Deutzia and Rhododendron are so very pretty.

Angie said...

Love your photos, Mary. The pictures of the Barn Swallow are wonderful. They've been teasing me with thinking about nesting in my porch rafters. I would be happy if they did. :) I have a 'resident' Kingbird that just returned a few days ago for the season. I would LOVE to see a Meadowlark...

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful Barn Swallow.The flowers are gorgeous as well.

Arija said...

I bet they are sycamore maples, they seed like crazy, I have a few million in the garden every spring. At least it will be easy to clean the gutters as the roots will hold the soil and Mike will be able to take it all out in sections.

So lovely to see your spring in full force.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Your Rhody is gorgeous... Ours have been beautiful this year also.

The Kingbirds are beautiful birds... I have never seen one. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I love the barn swallow shots...the rhododendron is beautiful....

A Colorful World said...

Mary, hi! Wow, the barn swallow shots are amazing! And I love your flowers! I've gotten behind in my blogging and am trying to catch up. Loved your comments on my blog! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!