Monday, May 30, 2011

Blue Grass birds.......

The day we went to Blue Grass we saw a wide variety of birds.
This was a new one for me......an adult breeding Spotted Sandpiper, according to Sibley!
It was darting in and out among the cattails along one of the lakes.
Several types of wildflowers were blooming.
The tree top sitting birds were in abundance in the meadows......a Dickcissel......
.....a Meadowlark......
......everywhere the Meadowlark went this Red-winged Blackbird followed it.
I took this distant shot to show what a lovely day it was.  That's another Red-wing Blackbird sitting on top of the little fir tree.
A female Red-wing Blackbird flew out of the brush and landed in the parking lot where we were sitting in the car.  I had been taking some flower photos and I wonder if I got close to her nest and she was trying to distract me from that area.
Daisies
Grackle
Great Blue Heron hiding in the cattails.  There were two fishermen on the opposite bank a little further down.  I was surprised that the heron didn't mind.
.......a strike!  Must have been good fishing for everyone.
Thistle
Not open thistle
Goldfinch
Brown Thrasher.
A good day for the birds!  We saw a few others as well.  

12 comments:

Dorothy said...

I do believe you like birds, flowers and even 'weeds' that bloom, as well as I do! I always enjoy your posts! Now, I see that our Goldfinch are up there with you! We have then all winter, but as soon as they begin to get really bright and pretty, they disappear!!! I guess they look for a cooler climate. Enjoy, and keep posting those pictures!

Janice K said...

I think you had a fun day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Looks like you saw some great birds at Blue Grass. the Spotted Sandpiper is a new one for me also...

Love your header.... Neat!!!

Hope you are having a great Memorial Day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

Lots of good stuff here Mary! I always love your posts. Such a wonderful variety.
I had a Brown Thrasher at my feeders yesterday. A new sighting for me.
B.

Cicero Sings said...

That's an interesting thistle ... we don't have the such like here!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the Thistle pictures.Your excursions always result in lots of great images.Thanks for shirring them.

Rose said...

That thistle is just so beautiful...just one of several nice shots. I have got to get out to the strip pits...have not been out there in so long.

John T said...

Love the daisy pictures, especially your header photo. For me daiseys signify summer because that's when the bloom around here.

Kerri Farley said...

What a great variety!!!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary..this commenting thing is getting to me grrr...I am so happy that I can visit you lol!!
I love that big thistle...such a pretty shade of purple,but oh the seeds..I have then coming up all over my garden because I let one grow in my garden for the Goldfinches last year!!
I love the Sandpiper there is just something about that long bill lol

Don Wood said...

Nice pics Mary, looks like you had a super day. I love to see nature and I try and see as much as I can, and on days I cant get out I borrow other people nature in the form of blogs. Thanks for posting . XXX Don

Arija said...

I have had a lovely wander through your great burd and nature blog. You can tell tht summer is here by the field daisies. A magical shot.