Thursday, May 26, 2011

Steam Cliff Farm Winery......

We visited several of the southern Indiana wineries while on our trip.  Apparently the southern Indiana area is very similar to the Rhine Valley in Europe and we have lots of German heritage in the southern Indiana area.  This winery....Steam Cliff Farm Winery....also had a tea room, farm market, plants for sale and gardens.  A beautiful place!  Unfortunately we arrived at the same time as a big bus load of tourists and could not get in the tea room for lunch :-(  Maybe another time.
Some of the roses around the tasting room.
I enjoyed sitting on this rustic porch.
Notice the quilt square on the side of the building.  I was looking at it when I became aware of a lot of noise and activity at that gourd you see hanging there.......
Papa House Sparrow has arrived with food for the babies! 
The minute he would land, two very hungry little beaks would stick out of the hole awaiting whatever he had!
This one was very impatient!
You can just see the other one behind it.  I only saw two.
"Feed me!  Feed me!  Feed me!"
Poor Papa....he looked worn out.  I never saw a female anywhere around.
The barn had two quilt squares, but there were so many cars I couldn't get a good photo.
This was a nice suprise!  A Quilt Designed Garden.  I wandered through and will admit that I could only recognize where two of the quilt gardens were.  Mike spotted the Grandmother's Fan and I think the Log Cabin is around the statue below.  You would have to be overhead to really tell what was what, but it was a very peaceful place.
Some mossy rocks in the water feature.
A statue in the center.
Vine covered arches.
Plants for sale!  Another reason for the crowd....it was opening day for selling the plants or something like that.
A bunny
A miniature house in one garden.
This area is where the Grandmother's Fan garden is, but you can only tell by the shape of the beds.
Lovely garden ornaments everywhere.
Beyond the Herb garden.....goats!
Belinda knew just how to make this goat really happy :-)
"What about me?"
A beautiful place to visit and relax and taste some wines.  Maybe next time we can try to food in the tea room.

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

This place looks amazing.Too bad you missed out on the food,but that is a good reason to go back.

Janice K said...

That looks like a fun place to go. We get down in Southern Indiana occasionally. My husband likes to go to IU ballgames, so usually we at least go to the Nashville area before we go home.

I enjoyed the baby birds too!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary....things seem to be the same in comment Googleville!!
Oh I just love this place so cute and quaint!! The porch looks very inviting and the gardens are beautiful!!
The Sparrows ...is that ever the cutest thing!!
PS I found that I can comment on Kelly at Red and the Peanut

sandy said...

I would love to walk through there - what a beautiful place.

but best of all

those adorable bird photos!!

Becky said...

I really enjoyed this trip Mary. Such a quaint place, and i too would love to sit on the porch. Awesome shots of the sparrow feeding it's young. what an opportunity! I don't have any renters in my gourds this year:~(
B.

Cicero Sings said...

You do manage to get some great bird shots ... love that momma feeding her babes in the gourd.

Rose said...

This looks like a nice place to visit...love the goats.

DorkyDeb said...

It's fun to "go" on your trips with you! Interesting pics. I especially loved the baby birds eating, and the goats. So cute!