Friday, May 13, 2011

Birds from a drive near the river in Henderson, KY.....

We keep going to Henderson hoping that the water is down enough to get near where we watch the birds.  Still too high and several roads closed.  So we headed to the road that we call "the butterfly road" where we often see lots of butterflies and some birds.  We didn't see any butterflies, but did catch a few interesting birds along the way.
The first was a Dickissel.  They like to sit on the top of small trees or bushes like this one and sing.  Sometimes we see them up on the wires also.
It's a rather pretty bird with the touches of yellow.
Then we saw a Pileated Woodpecker in someones front yard.
It was pecking the ground near the remains of an old tree stump.  Looking for bugs, I assume.
I think this is a female Cowbird.  She flew across the road in front of us and appears to have something in her beak.
This Eastern Wood-Pewee was a happy find.  I could tell it was some sort of flycatcher, but didn't know what it was until I got back home with my books.
I don't know which little sparrow this is, but it was willing to pose for us.  There were several flying around together.
Then on the way home, we saw this one turkey all by itself out in a field.  I was surprised to not see others with it.
This is the best shot I've gotten of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak this year.  It just won't sit up and turn around and let me see its pretty pink chest!
Caught this House Wren going in and out of the gourd.  Probably just stuffing it with twigs.  They do that a lot, but I'm not sure if it has a mate or not.  I guess we will see.  I hear it singing whenever I am outside.

7 comments:

Janice K said...

You certainly got pictures of a nice assortment of birds. I though Dickisselt was especially interesting....Certainly one I have never seen before.

Hope you're having a great day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI Mary, You did get to see a great assortment of birds... That Dickissel is a pretty bird. Great picture of the underside of the Grosbeak!!!! The Peewee is a cutie one too...

Have a good weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

You got some wonderful pictures in spite of the high water.

Rose said...

I love seeing those dickcissels....I haven't been out to the strip pits in a while to see if they are here again or not. I have been wanting to go, but by the time I have time am usually too tired to even want to get out.

Becky said...

Great group of goodies Mary. Some I have neve seen. Especially the Pileated is nice. Still looking for one.
It has been pouring all day! Creek is up again, and our creek will eventually dump into the Mississippi!
B.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Dickcissal reminds me of a Meadowlark.

Judy said...

I am hearing a lot of birds, but I tend to have the dogs with me, so I don't see all that many. I was looking for ducklings this morning, with no success...