Thursday, July 29, 2010

This and that at home....

Well, I have a bunch of left over bits as usual.....A Cicada......a very cool looking and noisy bug :-)
Monarch on the Milkweed Honeyvine. This vine is a volunteer and helps to hide my dead Dogwood tree.....it is considered a weed, but I've had all sorts of butterflies, skippers, bees, wasps, hummingbird moths flocking around it all week! The Goldfinches have been nibbling on the flowers, the Hummingbird likes it! It may be an invasive weed, but all of the winged critters love it!
I like this Monarch shot for all the "spots" in the background caused by light coming through gaps in the trees.

The dark Tiger Swallowtail likes the vine.
On edge.....a different angle.

My House Wren has gotten quiet and comes and goes, so I hope that means it finally found a mate and started a family.
A very hot and bedraggled looking Titmouse at the fountain. My fountain looks awful right now with all the algae on it, but it isn't easy to clean.

Video of a Hummingbird Moth flying around the vine. They really like these flowers. I can never tell if my videos have loaded correctly. I'll be out of town by the time this shows.

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Love your pictures! and the video!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures and the video is perfect.I have never seen a Cicada,so thanks for this picture,especially.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures and video, Mary.. Love seeing all of the different butterflies...

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Leedra said...

It seems most 'weeds' are the real attractions for butterflies and birds.

George said...

Your video loaded just fine. You got some wonderful pictures. I especially like the pictures of the Monarch.

Eve said...

I've never heard of that vine Mary! Great scott look at that Cicada! I really don't like them much!! hahaha Love the on edge shot!

Rose said...

I love your shot of the wren! I cannot get a good one of mine.

Becky said...

Really a good shot of the Cicada, Don't think we have them here. I can't seem to catch my Wren sitting still for very long, and it doesn't come close to the house.Of course they have been busy feeding the babies.
My Titmice all look bedragled too.
B.