Saturday, July 31, 2010

SkyWatch Friday a day late: "Dundee Home of the goat"......

.....That's what it says.....read the sign! The goat?????? Mike and I were really wondering about this sign until we came around the corner and saw this......
"The goat".....is a weather vane on top of what was once an old Methodist church, but is now the local Masonic Lodge.

It is a lightweight zinc alloy and has been atop the church for over 100 years.

The town is named for Dundee, Scotland. I'm so glad the sky was lovely for taking a photo of this oddity :-) Even though it is now Saturday, I will link this to SkyWatch Friday! This was my sky......with goat! Click here for more great SkyWatch photos. Thanks team for keeping SkyWatch going for so many years!

We went to Louisville, KY for a wedding, but had a lot of spare time to kill between wedding related events, so we visited places like the Louisville Slugger Museum, the Churchill Downs Museum and track, and the Mega Cavern with others in the group that were there. None of this is nature related, so I don't have a lot of nature photos to show from the last few days, although the wedding was in an outdoor garden that was very pretty. On the way there we took a detour through Ohio County Kentucky because it has more of the Quilt Barns that I like to take photos of. I will be posting those. Some of the other stuff may end up in other blogs.

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

How interesting, Mary! You get to go to some of the neatest places! That goat is a real oddity!

Tony nile life said...

Dundee goat,
Dundee is noted for its fruit cake,
So makes one wonder why they would put a billy british sannen goat atop a church spire in Louisville,
But I suppose a fruit cake would not attract the attention as much as a goat,

Mary said...

Dorothy: Thanks! It was such an odd thing to see and to have your town be known for.

Tony: LOL! Most people think fruitcakes would make better doorstops than weathervanes. I really couldn't find much history about this on the web to find out why they have a goat for a weathervane, but I think I saw something that said this and 2 other weathervanes came from Dundee originally.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a unique thing to put on a church steeple! I do hope you will show some of the other sights,sounds interesting.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks! I'm sure some of it will make it into my blog.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How interesting, Mary... I don't think I have EVER seen a goat weather vane in my entire life.... Glad that the town of Dundee has a 'mascot'.... ha

Neat sky pictures, Mary.... Sounds like you have had a busy but nice few days....

I'd love to see some of the quilt barns. I've seen a few when we travel--but not many... I think that is a neat idea!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I would love to know the reason for a goat...did someone just like goats or what.

anyway, this brought a smile to my face!

George said...

It's not every day that you can get a picture of a goat in the sky. Great pictures.

Splendid Little Stars said...

a most interesting goat!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I am enjoying looking at your butterfly photos in the sidebar. They have helped me identify butterflies I've seen in my garden.