Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kingbirds....

I drove by Mouteau Park looking for birds.....I immediately spotted a couple of Kingbirds sitting on the low wire fence and making short flights for bugs.
There seemed to be a lot of them around....I saw 6 or more. I think some are young ones. This one appeared to be young and has the dark area on the sides of the chest that my Sibley field guide shows. It mostly just sat there and did some preening while I watched it.

I thought this was a funny pose! I guess this is the bird equivalent of "shrugging your shoulders".

This one looked bigger. They really like these wires, but I had trouble making my camera focus on them instead of the grass beyond them.

The back view.
It seems like all the bug catching birds are very active right now. I hope they are seriously reducing the mosquito and fly populations!

12 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have captured great pictures of these birds.I guess this is prime time for feeding the newly hatched birds.
Blessings,Ruth

tony said...

Its 5.00 here I need to get out get some photos for the blogs its too hot in the day now to go walkabout or bird watching yesterday it was 51c in my flat even with a fan on.

JDS said...

Nice "bird on a wire" shots. I especially like the one that's next to last.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Love seeing the Kingbirds... The one shrugging his shoulders is cute....

I saw lots and lots of Barn Swallows today --while we were riding around in the country... I never could get a picture of any of them...

Have a great week.

Hugs,
Betsy

Philip said...

Nice shots Mary very similar to our Flycatcher :)

Renee said...

Wires and tree limbs drive me crazy with the auto-focus. By the time I get frustrated and switch over, my subject has decided it was time to move on. :)

Eve said...

I love these extremely noisy birds Mary! I also miss seeing them regularly. We have them in Alabama but they don't live here in my woods. They love the open brushy areas like my old home up north had. They are great fliers and full of energy! Great photos! Thanks!

grammie g said...

I am missing the one that was here ...I could use him right now to grab up some nasty biting bugs!!!

George said...

It's good to see so many bug-hunting birds on the job. I think you did a good job of getting the camera to focus on the birds instead of the grass.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

So thats where all the bugs have gone. :)

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks....they really like this particular park and I often find them there on the wires.

Tony: It's been hot here, too. I hate to even get out.

JD: Thanks for stopping by!

Betsy: I can only get the swallows if they are sitting on the wire :-) I'm not good at flying shots.


Philip: It is a type of flycatcher, so probably related.

Renee: Well, I always use autofocus...I'm really not a good photograther and don't know all that other stuff.

Eve: They are fun to watch...all of the flycathers are! They look so exuberant when they go for something. These hang around the soccer fields and sit on the goals some times.

Grammie G: Maybe it will come back!

George: I had to focus on the post and then move the camera over...that's a pain.

Joan: Well, you have plenty where you are for all of us :-)

Rose said...

I need some help with the mosquitoes, here too!