Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flycatcher......

I've watched this bird two nights in a row sitting in my crab apple tree and making short flights to catch flies.....I guess that makes it a Flycatcher! However, I don't know which one. It seems to be rather uniformly grey with wing bars.
It sits quietly and doesn't wag its tail.



When it flies away, you can see a touch of light near the tail. Not a great shot, but they are quick :-) If anyone knows which flycatcher it is, please tell me. (NOTE: Bruce thinks it is an Eastern Wood-Pewee, which is neat because that is a life bird for me!)

16 comments:

Becky said...

I don't know Flycatchers Mary, But great pictures just the same. My Crab tree is already loosing it's leaves, and the apples are very small. The type of tree I think that doesn't get big apples.
B.

Dorothy said...

Good pictures! If I were that bird, I'd rather eat the fruit than look for insects!

Renee said...

I can't believe you have crab apples already, where is my summer going?

Look up an Olive-Sided Flycatcher Mary, see if that's your new friend. :)

Mary said...

Becky:Mine is losing leaves, too. I can't wait until the apples are really ripe, because the Cedar Waxwings will come then...I hope! Both of my trees are loaded with little apples this year.

Dorothy: Well...I guess if you like flies, you like flies :-) The apple eaters will come later...Waxwings and Robins.

Renee: That was one I considered, but it shows it with a straight across tail and this obviously has a forked shape tail like a Phoebe.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have wonderful pictures of this bird.Those Flycatchers are a pain to try to identify.
Blessings,Ruth

Renee said...

Haha! Now I'm on a mission to figure out Mary's Flycatcher! :)

It looks alot like a Western Wood-Peewee, but if it is he's a little off course. I suppose with the crazy weather to the South-West, it's plausible.....

Can you tell that it's hot here and I don't feel like doing much? I'd sit and try to figure out what it was all day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I don't know what he is, Mary, but you captured some great pictures of the 'fly-catcher'.... Love the picture of him in flight.

The Waxwings will be there soon to eat your crab apples.

Did you ever make Crabapple jelly? My mother did--and it was so good.

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I'm afraid I can't help with your identification of this flycatcher, but I certainly am enjoying the wonderful captures you made.

Jenn Jilks said...

How delightful a shot. Love them. No clue!

Shelley said...

I don't know my flycatchers either but you got some wonderful shots! They have a sweet face.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I see this one has the notch in the tail just like our species so and so make them easy to recognize.

Mary said...

Ruth: I think a lot of birds are hard to identify :-)

Renee: Well, if you come up with something let me know.

Betsy: I've never made crab apple jelly or any or sort of jelly. I'd rather let the birds have them.

George: Thanks!

Jenn: Thanks!

Shelley: They seem like very easy going birds and it is fun to watch them fly up and grab something.

Joan: The tail doesn't help me much, but it was easy to see the notch.

Kerri Farley said...

Could it be an Eastern Phoebe? You got some great shots of it!!

brucesc said...

I'm almost positive that these
great pics are of an Eastern
wood-pewee, Mary. Well done!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone that commented and tried to figure it out for me. I hope Bruce is right because that would make it a lifer for me!

Rose said...

I don't know what it is, but great shooting.