We were walking a very over-grown path between the big lake and a swampy area where we usually see quite a bit. The lake itself is very large and I would love to go out on it in a boat sometime.
This Buckeye butterfly was very nice and spread out for me :-)
A Viceroy.....one I don't see very often! I thought it was a Monarch, but the book says the main difference is that black line you see going across the hindwings.
A Zebra Swallowtail at a distance......it was very active and I almost didn't get a shot of it.
Out in the swamp there were 3 herons stalking. We saw a couple ducks out there, too, but I couldn't get a shot of them.
This very strange looking "bug" landed at my feet. I had to ask BugGuide what it was! A Robber Fly! After looking up some information, it says that it eats dragonflies....among other things....and there were lots of dragonflies flying around my feet also! If I had known it's habits, I might have tried to see it catch one.....maybe next time, now that I know what it is.
Morning Glories winding through the weeds.
I should have asked BugGuide about this one, too........wasp? bee? whatever?
This was cute....this one fungi was growing in a little niche in the tree....it looks like a little "shrine" or something!
This deer was so willing to pose.....it just stood there frozen staring at us! Mike even backed the car and turned it sideways so I could shoot out of the side window better! We moved the car twice and it still stood there.
On the way home through Mount Vernon, I wanted Mike to go past the grain elevator where the pigeons roost.
On the way home through Mount Vernon, I wanted Mike to go past the grain elevator where the pigeons roost.
20 comments:
Hi Mary, Loved your pictures from Hovey Lake. The butterflies are so gorgeous. Pretty Morning Glory also. Beautiful photo of a deer. Those pigeons and vultures love that grain elevator, don't they.
Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy
Mary your mushroom (fungi) in the tree made me lol!! It is so darn cute..... Did you see any gnomes or fairies under it!! ; }
That first butterfly is a beauty and the deer also posed very well for you ..nice!!!
I saw my first buckeye of the year the other day but it would not stay still with its wings open...
Wouldn't it have been awesome if those vultures had their wings spread? Every time I see a bunch with their wings spread, I don't have my camera.
Mary, you are so well versed in insects! When I open my butterfly book, I just get more confused. I bet the deer thought it was invisible unless it moved.
That Buckeye might be a common butterfly, but it's a stunner! LOVE the fairy home, a proper 'des res' as we say over here (desirable residence). The deer obviously knew that it looked very handsome/pretty in that pose and wanted it's photo taken! (-: Lovely post Mary!
Amazing pictures. The butterflies are so crisp and sharp,and all those Vultures,Wow.Oh and the bugs,my goodness,you have some good shots of them an that little mushroom,how cute.
Blessings,Ruth
I so like the fungi in the tree.
The Buckeye was fantastic Mary and the deer was pretty good as well.
Loved your post today. The mushroom in the tree is special! You are a real pro with that camera!
This is another wonderful post of your visit to Hovey Lake. It was very nice of that deer to pose so nicely for you.
Thank you everyone! I've been gone most of the day, and I'm tired, so I will just thank you all together. Hopefully I will get around to your blogs and catch up tomorrow!
Oh Mary that Buckeye is beautiful!! And thank you for discovering the Robber Fly!! I have them here too and never knew what they were! Thanks for using Bugguide it is SO awesome!!!
I've got a lot of catching up to do too!!!
That first butterfly is stunning Mary and you managed to get a fantastic shot of the robber fly.
Lovely captures. WEll done.
That is a very beautiful Buckeye photo! An excellent capture!
Freddie Ann :-)
You always have such wonderful outings.
Eve: Thanks...those Robber Flies are weird! I had no idea what the "critter" was that kept landing on the path in front of me. I figured it was one of those things that everyone else knows and I don't! LOL
Joan: I always think of you when I take a "bug" photo! LOL
Jenn: Thank you!
Ann:Thanks....I like when they pose so nicely instead of making me chase them.
Katney:Thanks! I get lucky! There are a lot of great places to go around here, so I just keep going back.
Those Vultures love to perch in weird places. Better view I guess.
What a feminine deer. She's beautiful. So dainty.
A once in a lifetime shot of the mushroom in the tree. Cool!
That Robber Fly must be daring or really hungry to take on a Dragonfly.
B.
WELCOME TO BLOG - www.virgemdeguadalupe.blogspot.com
The mushroom in the alcove is really quite the shot. It does look like it is in a little shrine.
Post a Comment