We went to Hovey Lake in Mount Vernon, IN yesterday.
We saw several Red-Headed Woodpeckers in the swampy area.
These aren't the greatest shots, but he didn't mind us watching him catching bugs.
I would aim the camera at him while he was in the tree and then when he would take off click the multi shooting setting to try to get the action. They are not top quality but I love the sense of motion as he flies! Notice that there is a dragonfly up there flying with him!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Wow that is a colourful bird Mary.
How neat to get him in flight with the dragonfly like that!! They both are very graceful - and it does look like they were dancing together :)
I love Red-heads, Mary... They are one of the prettiest woodpeckers I think ---although all Woodpeckers are pretty. You captured some great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy
You captured some great action shots, Mary. Very good photography!
These are great shots! I saw my first Red-headed woodpecker when I was in Alabama this year. Love these birds!
Oh, my...what a great series! I thought they looked like they were dancing also and I am just seeing photos...can't imagine seeing it as it happens.
Great actions shot Mary of one of my fav USA birds. They're just stunning both perched and flying.
These are fantastic.I would be very pleased with shots like this.What a beautiful bird!.
Blessings,Ruth
I love the in flight ones doing his dance routine for his part in....""To Catch A Dragonfly""
Nice stuff....
Excellent sequence of shots Mary I wonder in the end who was chasing who :)
Thanks everyone :-) I'm not good at taking flying shots of anything, but it was fun trying to stop the motion a bit. I don't think the woodpecker was actually chasing that dragonfly. Surely it would have caught it. Both like to chase bugs and both like a high perch...I think it was just coincidence that they were chasing bugs together.
I haven't been here in so long. I'm ashamed. Been so busy.
I love woodpeckers, and in flight they are special. Super shots Mary!
B.
Post a Comment