Thursday, July 8, 2010

The "real" Chipping Sparrow baby....

Last Sunday I posted the poor Chipping Sparrow mom with the Cowbird baby. Now it seems only fair to show a Chipping Sparrow mom with the "real thing". Following mom around.
Hungry!

Looking around on his own.

Waiting.

Mom's back!
I noticed that "Baby Huey"....the Cowbird baby....... is now feeding himself and growing fast. I wonder when they realize they are Cowbirds and join their own kind?

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

Don't you wonder why Cow Birds are like that, not raising their own?? The baby birds if all kinds look almost as big as the parents!!

Mary said...

Dorothy: I do wonder why...it is such a curious behavior you wonder how it got started.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute little sparrow, Mary. I love to see the babies ---and am amazed that many of them are larger than the parents... Of course, all they do is EAT... ha ha

Hope the little Cowbird makes it--and finds some of her own!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos and that's an interesting comment about the cowbird. I wonder at what point they do figure things out? Have a great weekend Mary.
An English Girl Rambles

Rose said...

I have wondered the same thing about cowbirds...talk about an identity crisis!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I am happy to see that the right baby also got some food.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well at least this baby is the right size. :)

Don Wood said...

I love to see the babies chirping to be fed.

Jenny said...

Lovely to see a young chipper. I didn't realise they were so streaky! By the way, LOVE your new header Mary, really fresh looking! (-:

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! I think the little Chipping Sparrows are so cute :-) They are such good natured little birds and don't seem real bothered about my presence. I noticed an adult Cowbird hanging around this morning....maybe he came to claim the young one and introduce him to his "own kind" :-)