Saturday, July 24, 2010

More butterflies from Hartman Arboretum....

Some of the shots that I took of the butterflies.....I was enjoying watching a pair of Buckeyes chase each other around these spiky flowers. They are so willing to open up that I seldom get a side shot. This sort of shows the side view.

Butterfly courting?

Butterfly "kissing"? LOL

The two stayed close together and went round and round.

I'm still trying to get good shots of this Gray Hairstreak ? It is a new butterfly to me for this year. It always seems to be down low where I can't get good shots. I'm fascinated by the little "tails" that seem to fan out and look fuzzy.

Not a terrific shot, but it shows the orange abdomen (matches the flowers) and the little tails.

Mr. Hartman said he had some Monarch caterpillars in his own garden, so we went to see them. He says they seem to like the "swamp milkweed" better than the traditional. There were about a dozen of them crawling around the plants.

Caterpillar on the left and Hummingbird moth hovering over the purple flower.

I always think that Monarch caterpillars look like they are both "coming and going"....hard to tell one end from the other.

A skipper I don't know.....maybe a Duskywing of some sort?

A side shot of it. It sure liked these flowers.

The Hummingbird moth liked to start at the bottom of these pink flowers and move upward checking each flower.

Drinking deeply

Always a lot of Silver Spotted Skippers.

Visiting the zinnia.

No butterfly....I just like this zinnia :-)


A Cabbage White female (two spots).

OK....I need to get out and find something other than butterflies, but we are having temps in the 90's and lots of humidity to go with it. I wilt just thinking about going out.

12 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely photos of those butterflies Mary and it does look like a courting couple! I have been lucky enough to see a hummingbird moth twice! I was so thrilled each time. A x

Dorothy said...

I always like to see what you post, Mary. I agree, it is too hot to go out anywhere!!!

Rose said...

I think the Buckeye is one of the prettiest butterflies..I managed to capture one last night. Will post it in a day or two.

I would love to see more of the one you think might be a gray hairstreak..will have to think and google that for photos.

George said...

You got some wonderful shots of the butterflies. I also like the hummingbird moth you captured. It's so hot down here that I don't go out unless it's very early morning or the evening.

Anonymous said...

I like the zinnia as well Mary and the good old Cabbage White.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Gorgeous shots.You certainly have a lot more butterflies around than we do.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a great feast for the eyes Mary.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

More gorgeous butterflies, Mary.... Their colors are so beautiful. That visit to the Arboretum must have been fabulous..... I love that Silver Spotted Skipper.

Thanks!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Thank you everyone.....I love seeing butterflies, and this has been a good year for them so far.

Eve said...

Butterflies are just fine Mary!! hahaha! That is a Duskywing but I'm not going to try to guess what kind! I will try to figure out the pink flower...it seems to be a good one to have. It's been very hot here to Mary...but I guess that is to be expected!

Kerri Farley said...

Excellent!!!!!

Becky said...

Have you ever thought of printing some of your photographs? So beautiful Mary!
Monarch caterpillars. Humm I'm looking for them too, but we don't have any swamp Milkweed I guess.
B.