You may get tired of the butterfly photos, but right now there are so many around, it is hard to stop taking pictures! We went back to Hartman Arboretum and today I am showing Mike's photos. He had some really great shots and some things that I didn't see. Always nice to have two cameras chasing the butterflies :-)
This is the Tiger Swallowtail male....no blue on the wings.
The Tiger Swallowtail female.....blue showing on hindwings. If you want butterflies, plant this flower.....every single butterfly was swarming around it.
The Spicebush Swallowtail.
Mike saw these and didn't even point them out to me! These fuzzy little caterpillars are for the Milkweed Tussock Moth or the Milkweed Tiger Moth. I had to look that up. Found them by searching for "mop-like caterpillar" ! LOL
A whole branch full of them!
The American Snout was being very friendly with me....so obviously Mike had to take these photos! I thought this would show its size.....very small!
It liked my pocket, too and hung on me while I took photos. I would not normally let Mike take photos of me from this angle, but since I could crop it....OK :-)
The Monarch was more cooperative for him, than for me and opened up.
A closed side shot.
He got not one, but TWO, of the Hummingbird moths in the same shot! I'm jealous!
A Cabbage White
The dark Tiger Swallowtail is always female.
A bee....lots of bees among the butterflies.
Bee and Hummingbird moth in same shot.....
......again! This one shows the wings better.
Tomorrow I will post some shots that I got that Mike didn't :-)
We saw a total of 10 different kinds of butterflies, 3 kinds of skippers, plus the hummingbird moths and 2 kinds of caterpillars! This is definitely a busy time of year in the Hartman gardens! I'm thankful that Grant shares this place with the public!
13 comments:
Now there are some nice friendly fellows here. Those caterpillars are so cute!! :)
What a great place to visit to get to see butterfies....just the right plants to make a butterfly feel like he is heaven!!: }
Great butt shot Mike!! ; }
You mention being jealous of Mike.I am just plain jealous,seeing all these lovely pictures,and I don't even see many butterflies.:) I sure am enjoying them via this blog.Thanks my friends.
Blessings,Ruth
Wonderful Mary! I think is soooo lovely that you two can go out together and enjoy the same things! He got some great shots there and I'm looking forward to your next.....
These are absolute beauties Mary.
Joan: I like those "dust mop" caterpillars, too. I would like to see the moth that goes with them.
Grammie G: I'm apparently nice and sticky and sweaty since the butterflies like me so much :-)
Sebi: thanks!
Ruth: I think we have seen more butterflies this year than usual. I figure I better enjoy them while I can.
Jenny: I'm glad to have Mike to go around with me. After going out photo taking by myself for several years, it is nice to have company.
Roy: Thanks!
Gorgeous Photos!!! I never tire of seeing beautiful butterflies!!! That's my post today, too.
Wow Mary (and Mike) ---Those are fabulous pictures--all of them... Glad you two went back to the Hartman Arboretum... They are fabulous... I know what you mean when you say it's good to have two cameras!!!!
That little American Snout was flirting with you, Mary. Did you have something special in your pocket for him???????
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Ha! It looks like we have the same camera ? Is your's a Fuji S100FS ? I thought you said you used a Canon but maybe I just got that in my head somehow - LOL. Anyway my camera looks exactly like that from behind. Except I had to have my husband rip off the latex grip parts due to my allergies. The hand grips are silicone and they are fine, but the adjusting rings, the padding on the strap, and the eye piece were all latex. So they had to go. It made the camera tolerable for me, but there are still some latex parts on the inside, so I get real wheezy if I have the camera too close to my face. I'd love to have a new one someday with NO latex! I really wasn't expecting it when I ordered the camera a long time ago because none of my previous Fuji's have had latex.
But the reason I left this rambling comment is because I laughed when I saw the photo because butterflies do that to me too (fly on that part of the camera) and baby toads hop on it. In fact it happens so often that I just had to show my husband your pic. He laughed and said, "That happens to you all the time - wait is that your camera?" LOL :)
Mike got some wonderful pictures. I really like his hummingbird 'doubleheader'.
Dorothy: I'm seeing a lot more butterflies than birds at the moment.
Betsy:Well, I think mostly it just liked my sweat and I had lots of that!
Debbie: Yes, I have the same camera you do. I didn't realized it had so much latex on it. It seems to be the little snouts and Hackberrys that really like to get friendly :-)
George: Thanks! Mike got some great shots. Most of the time he just wanders around without a camera, even though he knows more about photography than I do. I told him to bring the camera, because I couldn't chase down all these butterflies on my own!
Great shots you and Mike got! I love the little Snout! And those pretty pink flowers that the bees and hummingbird moths like. Did you know what they were Mary?
I can't believe I'm so far behind!
Every shot just blows me away. A Snout on Mike's hand. How cool is this! Haven't seen a Hummingbird moth yet!
The Spicebush is my favorite.
B.
Post a Comment