Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hartman Arboretum, always a butterfly paradise....

If it hadn't been so hot...with the sweat dripping in my eyes....I might have never left the arboretum today! There were butterflies everywhere and I never did get a good shot of a couple....the Monarch in particular. This bluish butterfly was very colorful on the pink flowers....is this a Hairstreak? It was bigger than the little blues I normally see. It looked like it was rubbing its wings back and forth while sitting there.

Cabbage White.....they never seem to hold still!

There were dozens of these Silver Spotted Skippers and they love these tall spiky flowers!

Actually, they love all the flowers! I tried to take a video of them on these purple spikes....there were so many flying around.

.....even on the non-spiky flowers :-)
Sulphur.....they always seem to like the yellow flowers that they "match".

Several Tiger Swallowtails were flitting around

I like when the light shines through them :-)

I don't know how this one still flies, it was so tattered. Such a contrast for that beautiful orange flower it was on.

Black female Tiger Swallowtail
I've always been confused when I see black colored swallowtails as to whether they are the black colored Tigers or a different kind. Today I saw both and have finally figured out the differences once I get the photos on the computer. They move so much, that they all just look like "black butterflies".
1. The black Tigers have the faint "stripes" showing on them.
2. The body is solid colored.
3. There is only one row of orange dots on the hind wings.

Another black Tiger Swallowtail in different light.

This is a Spicebush Swallowtail. Note the differences:
1.No stripes.
2. Polka dotted body.
3. Two rows of orange spots on hind wings.
Another Spicebush

A pair of Spicebush....female on top, male on bottom.
They are suppose to look more "greenish", but I can only really tell that on the male.

A Zebra Swallowtail with its lovely long tails.

I spent most of the morning chasing this Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. I love these things and there were 2 of them flying around.

Catching up with them is the hard part! They just never hold still.

They are so fascinating to watch.

This shot is distant, but shows the clear wings better.

They like all the flowers! I had more unfocused shots than good ones, but it was worth the chase!

Except for the heat...a great butterfly day! I also saw a Buckeye, a Monarch, and a Pearl Crescent....but no photos. And at least one other skipper.

15 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I just might want to stay at a place like that.You have fantastic pictures.Thanks for sharing these.
BLessings,Ruth

Leedra said...

What a wonderful collection you did get. The heat has been bad this year here too. The lack of rain has taken it's toll on my daylilies.

Dorothy said...

What a wonderful place to visit!!
I tried too shoot a Clearwing Moth today, but they are so busy!! I can see why there are called hummingbird moths!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary.... You were in flower and butterfly heaven, weren't you????? Sorry it was so hot..It's miserable here --and I just cannot stay outside for any length of time.. I watered my potted plants ---and sweat was pouring off of me...

Great pictures of all of the butterflies... Glad you put names with them --since I do not know my butterflies...

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

I think you got some wonderful pictures of the butterflies. I'm glad you braved the hot weather long enough to get these.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, these are Wonderful!! I've been looking for a hummingbird moth - but haven't found any yet.
Thanks for the comparison of the Black colored swallowtails! GREAT info!!

Mary said...

Ruth: It really is a lovely place and is the private property of a man who is a Master Gardener. He shares it with the public one day a week. The best thing is that it is only a couple miles from my house!

Leedra: Thanks...the heat is awful this year. We are back into the 90's this week and that is so unusual for us for any length of time.

Dorothy: They are such odd critters....like a bee more than a moth! I was walking in circles trying to photograph this one and in the heat, I thought I was going to drop before getting any decent shots.

Betsy: It's a wonderful little garden and always full of butterflies. The heat was so bad, I was just dripping and feeling so awful.

George:I'll be glad when this heat wave breaks and goes back to normal temps! It takes the fun out of photography.

Kerri: This garden usually has at least one of the moths flying around, if I'm lucky enough to see it and chase it down. I've always been confused by those black swallowtails and was glad to have photos of both to compare. Of course, there is also the Pipevine which is similar to the Spicebush, but I don't think I have ever seen one.

Eve said...

I'm seeing all the same butterflies and the clearwings Mary! You did a great tutioral on the Spicebush and Black Swallowtail. I think you are becoming something of an expert!!!
:-)

Jenny said...

Fabulous post Mary. I can't get over all the different and lovely types of Swallowtails you have over there. We only have one here and it is on found in one small area of Britain over on the east coast! Thanks for sharing them! (-:

Becky said...

Sweat or not you got some TERRIFIC shots Mary! Each and every one is just beautiful! I am so jealous. Only a few Fritillary butterflies have shown up here.
I think my favorite is ALL of them!
have a super week-end.
B.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW Mary!! You really got fantastic shots of them and such a wonderful variety too. It was definitely a great day there.

Mary said...

Eve: Too bad I didn't have a Pipevine, too, but I've never seen one!

Jenny: We are very fortunate with the large swallowtails. I think the west and south have even more.

Becky: Well, your fritillary shots have been great! I haven't seen any of those.

Joan: The butterflies have been plentiful this year, so far.

Cicero Sings said...

Great butterflies! Love those hummingbird moths but aren't they something else to catch on film?!

Mary said...

Cicero: Yes, I chased that one around the garden until I was so sweaty and hot, I thought I would pass out. Silly little bug.

Rose said...

You sure hit the jackpot of butterflies...great shots. I always feel so sorry for them when they have the tattered wings.