We saw a fair variety of birds as we drove through the slough area near the Ohio River.
The Dickcissel sat on the wire and posed so nicely! This is the clearest shot I have ever gotten and it didn't seem to mind me taking its photo.
It's a very colorful bird with it's yellow chest, black vee and those rusty shoulder patches
.
Later we saw another one right over our head that was being very vocal. I have a video of the song at the end of the post.
More wire sitters....the Barn Swallows near the barn where I photographed the nests before.
They were posing nicely, too.
I peeked into the barn and saw this one nest of young ones. Not really pretty at this stage :-) I have no idea what those long feathers are on the left.

And another wire sitter....Indigo Bunting! We saw quite a few Indigos as we drove around. They flit across the road in front of the car occasionally and the blue color makes them easy to see. They like to sit on the wire and sing, also.
A heron stalking in the distance. We saw several at various watery areas. There was an egret here, too, but just as I was ready to take a photo, a truck drove up the road and scared all the birds away :-(
Mike spotted this Killdeer down along the shore.
Mike also pointed out this locust tree covered with seed pods.
There is one swampy area full of dead trees and they had a lot of birds on them. I don't know what this bird is. One of the blackbirds? Maybe a young one? I took several photos, but it just doesn't look like any of the ones that I normally see.......not a Red-wing, not a Grackle, doesn't look like a Cowbird or Starling.....so what is it?? (NOTE: Mystery solved! Jenny suggested a Starling and when I looked up what a juvenile looks like, I think she is right! I've never seen the young ones before...just the spotty adults)
.
And another wire sitter....Indigo Bunting! We saw quite a few Indigos as we drove around. They flit across the road in front of the car occasionally and the blue color makes them easy to see. They like to sit on the wire and sing, also.
11 comments:
Don't you just love the dickcissel and how happy they are...they remind me of wrens. Just so bright and cheerful....
You sre got a lot of nice photos..love that one right above the video. I would be temped to crop it and use it as a banner sometime.
Rose: Thanks! The Dickcissel always seems to be singing! I liked that shot of the swallows,too....maybe I will crop it for a banner. It's time for a change.
Have never heard of a Dickcissel, we don't have them here in UK. It has a pretty little song. I'm always amazed at how loudly the little birds can sing. Lovely pictures.
Hi Mary, Love all of your birds... Have no idea what your mystery bird is though.... Juvenile???/
I've never heard of a Dickcissel--but it is a gorgeous bird... And I love it's shrill voice....
Hugs,
Betsy
Loved to see and hear the video! I can't ID your mystery bird, either. You are so blessed to be able to get out and potograph so many birds! Have a great day! Love those Indigo Buntings!
I enjoyed all of these pictures from your trip to Henderson Slough. I can't help you identify the mystery bird, but I would like to know how you get the birds to pose so nicely for you. The group photo on the branch is wonderful.
Hi Mary, I think your mystery bird might be young Starlings. Looks like you had a great day for birds on wires! (-:
Anne: It's trued that a lot of the little birds really deserve the name "songbird". The Dickcissel seems to be singing everytime we see it.
Betsy: Thanks...I think Jenny is right after looking at what a juvenile starling looks like.
Dorothy: Thanks...I like the Indigo Buntings, too...so bright blue!
George: LOL...many times they don't pose at all...yesterday was a good day!
Jenny: I think you got it right! I've never seen a juvenile Starling before. I kept thinking blackbird, but couldn't seem to match it to any adult that I knew. I didn't realize that the juvenile Starling look so different from the spotty adults!
The first three shots are very clear what a strange name Mary.
LOve those Dickcissal pictures.This is a bird I have only seen once in my life.Photogrphy is such fun and it gets us out to see nature.
Thanks for sharing your finds.
Blessings,Ruth
Roy: It is a strange name...who knows why they name birds? The Latin is "spiza americana" and it seems to have a class all of its own.
Ruth: I see them alot on the wires or on top of little trees in meadow areas right now. I had never seen one before last year. Taking photos makes me so much more aware of different birds.
Post a Comment