Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sedum and the bees and skippers....

Sedum is always a joy when it blooms in the early Autumn.  It attracts so many bees and little butterflies, especially the skippers.
This large sprawling clump is loaded with bees.  If you click to enlarge, you can see that there are 1-2 on every flower head!  That is just one clump.  I have more on the other side of the walkway.
 The bees are busy all day long in these flowers.

Here is a larger bee getting his share.
 The Silver Spotted Skipper (or the White Elephant Skipper, as we like to call it....if you look at its marking).
 One of the smaller skippers in "fighter plane" position.
 No idea on names of these skippers.
I enjoy the beauty of the Sedum all by itself, but knowing what a magnet it is for bugs and butterflies makes it even nicer.  We had these flowers along the fence of the house where I grew up and I was always taught to call it "Live-Forever".....which it does!  Does anyone reading this call it that?  I didn't know it's proper name until later on.  It is so easy to grow.  You can break off a flower and stick it in a pot and it will root and grow.  One of those nice and easy plants for gardeners like me :-)

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your Sedum plants look lovely. Wish mine were half that pretty. The soil on my yard is not very good,at least that is what I will blame it on.Love all those insects as well.

Dorothy said...

Your Sedum is a lovely pink!! I don't have that one but a have one called Autumn Joy, which is getting really pretty now. The insects really enjoy these!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh your seedum is lovely! I had no idea that the Silver spotted skipper was nicknamed the White Elephant Skipper - but I Can Definitely See Why!! That is so cool!

Nature in the Burbs said...

Lovely plants

Rose said...

It is like the Grand Central Station of the insect world in your yard!

Kathie Brown said...

What a wonderful plant! I have never grown this and only know it by the name of sedum. It's nice to see how it looks. I can't believe all the butterflys on it!

Becky said...

I have 2 different colors of Sedum, and all I see are bees on it mostly beacuse the folks down the road have hives. I only learned about Sedum a few years ago, so that's the only name I know..