I found a new Skipper when I was at the wetlands Saturday!
Always an exciting moment, so lots of photos :-)
This is the Common Checkered Skipper. According to my Kaufman Butterfly guide it is "the most common and widespread Skipper in the United States".......so why have I never seen one before?????
What I really loved is that it is a "spreadwing" and sits open making it lovely to photograph. Here is it joined by a couple of the other skippers that I never know the name of. I wish they were all easy to identify!
I included this shot because I didn't realize that a wasp had flown into the shot when I was taking it :-)
The Checkered with a Soldier bug
I think this is a Least Skipper.....that is a new one for me, too.
The rest of these I have no idea. I found several "possible" id's for some of them.....Pecks, Zabulon, Sachem, or Fiery......all found in my area, but they look too much alike to me and I only see this view of them since they don't spread out nicely like that Checkered one. I do love their "fighter plane" way of perching :-) In general they are Grass Skippers.
The two behind the Checkered are the ones I thought might be Fiery Skippers, but don't really know.
Definitely the time of year for lots of skippers!
10 comments:
I enjoyed viewing all the butterfly photos you have! They are certainly refreshing to the eye as well as a delight!
By the way, would you like us to follow each other? I'd like to get to know you more through your posts.
Enjoy your Sunday! :)
Oh that Checkered one is a beauty! I don't know that I've ever seen one of those either!!! Skippers are abundant around me too .... and SO HARD to ID!
Those are both very pretty, and I don't think I've ever seen them around here either.
I have not seen these Skippers before, either, Mary. The ones I usually see are brown with the white elephant design. I did see one new one the other day that had a bluish body and a long tail. It was new to me. I like the one with the wings like fighter plane;-)
Excellent shots Mary.
Excellent pictures. I have never even tried to identify the Skippers.
You get some really great photos of the butterflies!!
I really don't know if I have seen this one or not...he is different.
We saw our first Skippers some weeks ago, Mary, but the (wonderfully named) Dingy Skipper eluded us! Your photos and header are superb.
The skippers on those yellow flowers are just gorgeous! I suppose you could start a new blog with a new name to avoid your problem....I would sure hate to lose you in the blogosphere!
Post a Comment