Thursday, September 13, 2012

Critters in the grass and weeds....

Yesterday, everything seemed to be down in the grasses or hidden in the flower field.  Doesn't really make for pretty photos, but I am interested in all the critters I see.
There was a really big Mantis in the goldenrod.  I believe it is a Chinese Mantis and it really blends in well with its surroundings, but is so large you can see it easily once you spot one.
 This one had caught something....a bee I think.  I took a lot of photos because I think they are such weird critters and I was trying to get a really good photo of the head.  I feel like this one is looking at me and saying, "Just keep walking....it's best to mind your own business and leave me alone."
 The best I could do on the face.  Creepy critters!
 Sort of a side view of the head.
 ....and mouth

Ok...enough of this guy!
 Yellow is the color right now.  I think these are Tickseed Sunflowers.  They have such a nice size and really look pretty when you find a field of them.

.....and lots of Goldenrod.  A wasp was finding something good here.
 Down in the grass are all the little butterflies and moths.  I fear I will step on them at times!  The Eastern-tailed Blues were plentiful.

 These two tiny moths?....I'm not sure if they are different or the same kind.  

 There is a tree that the Red Admirals and other woods butterflies like, but large bushes have grown up near it and I could barely get a shot of this Admiral on the trunk.
A Sulphur on the asters.
The White's like the asters, too.
 This bee was hanging on a leaf and just dripping with pollen.  Not sure what it was doing.

Some little fungi on the path among the grass and weeds.

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary! You did a good job photographing all the 'critters' and flowers!

Rose said...

I think that the praying mantis looks like some kind of alien!

And I am seeing mushrooms every where right now... have them in my yard, seen them in people's yards yesterday and the day we took Lo back to her mom.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Yellow's are pretty plentiful fall flower color, but the purple aster are always a delight.especially when there is a lovely butterfly on them : }!!
The times I have seem the Praying Mantis they where green, and hard to see! They are strange looking!!
Nice photos!!
Grace

Janice K said...

You certainly are observant....That Praying Mantis must have been really hard to see..Great pictures.

A Colorful World said...

These shots are amazing! The preying mantis is wonderful! You really captured him! And the goldenrod and sunflowers--beautiful--and the bee! Nice work, there!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You see the most interesting creatures. You also got wonderful pictures of them. I enjoy seeing these through your eyes.

Becky said...

Another super post Mary.Love the Mantis. They really are interesting. I have only seen one around here.Love the butterflies of course.

Judy said...

I've given up identifying the various sunflowers...
Our goldenrod is about done for the year...