Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wetlands walk....

It was very hot today, but we took a short walk at the wetlands. The water level is really low in the slough and the creek, both.  Sure hope we get some rain soon!
 I'll start with the snake, since I don't usually find those!  It was lying in the shallow water and mud getting some sun.  Mike says it is a water snake...duh.....don't know if that is the official name :-)  
It was very curious and swam over and looked up at us. 
"Why aren't you afraid of me....I'm a snake?!"
Several goose families.  There was this one "teen" goose who seemed to be an only child and had a mind of its own.  Always taking off without the parents. 
While we were watching the snake, a whole group of geese flew in and had a splashing good time. 
The "teen" goose with his folks. 
 Doing a bit of resting and cleaning.  All that dry mud area is usually covered with water.
Teen goose came over right by us and checked out all the plants.  I think maybe someone has been feeding him because he didn't seem to be afraid of us. 
"Junior...for the last time, stay here!"
 The ducks were keeping their distance, but we saw several family groups.
Looking for food in the shallow water.  
 An Amberwing dragonfly with its reflection.
I didn't see the damselfly behind it until I had this on the computer.
Some juvenile Grackles on the rail with one adult. 
 "Big Blue" was doing his usual thing around the edge of the slough.
Lots of little minnows in the clear water! 
Back in the shady creek area there was a group of young Robins playing in the water.  Not great photos, but I loved the green color and the reflections.  It looked so cool and inviting, I wanted to jump in with them. 
Green and cool and refreshing 
One youngster on a branch.  Looks half asleep. 
Best shot I got of any of them was this one up in a tree near where I was standing.  Very spotty! 
Down by the water. 
Can't go to the wetlands without one turtle shot!  Most of them were in the cool water rather than on the logs today, but this one was high and dry.

8 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Mary, what a wonderful post! I was on my way over here, just as you were posting on mine! Thank you. I loved seeing the baby geese on your page. I wasn't able to get out to see any this spring until they had grown to a large size. No baby swans this year either. Maybe next spring will be better. The amber dragonfly is gorgeous! I don't think I've seen one quite like that before. It looks like you have two different kinds of snakes there. The black one looks like a water snake, but that second one looks brownish and seems to have a pattern. The young robins are sweet. They may be ordinary birds, but I love their songs. Lovely reflections on the water, too. By the way, that is a beautiful cover photo of the heron with the fish. You blog looks awesome! So nice to catch up with you a little. Hugs from an old blogging friend.

Janice K said...

I'm not sure I would have stuck around very long after seeing that snake...They're not one of my favorites.

You always see so many interesting things at the wetlands. We need rain up here also. It looks more like August than June.

Naquillity said...

oh, how i LOVE those snake pictures. i'll have to post one i got of a water snake poking his head out of the water here. i also liked the blue heron. they are such beautiful birds. i can't believe how low the water level is though. that can't be good for the wildlife. they sure would have enjoyed the downpour we had the other day. i hadn't seen it rain that hard in a long while. have a great night~

Dorothy said...

Mary, they are all wonderful pictures!!! You make the kind of pictures that I hope to make!! Don't you love it when you see your shot on the computer and see that you got a little something extra?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

As hot as it was, it still appears as if you had a good time... There were lots of critters there for you to see, talk to, and photograph.

I'm not much on snakes --but you did get some great shots of that one.

Have a great Wednesday and stay COOL.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

I really enjoyed these, Mary. You got some wonderful shots. I love the geese....the ones up close.

Mary said...

Lin: Thank you! It was just one snake that the light is different on in the two photos. A Northern Water Snake.

Janice: I'm not crazy about snakes, but it was in the water and I was on the boardwalk, so that is OK.

Naquiltity: Wish you could send the rain here! Still dry every day.

Dorothy: Yes, bonus things in photos are always a nice surprise!

Betsy: Only way to stay cool here, is to stay inside. What a heat wave!

Rose: Thanks! You need to come down here and visit the wetlands with me some day...hint, hint, hint.

Becky said...

Good, Good shots as usual Mary. I do wish I had a place like that here to walk. I'm having a difficult time getting away by myself, so haven't been on any of my trails for quite a while.
No matter how many geese pictures I see, I still like seeing them, and love your dragonfly pictures.
Not so hot here today. We need rain so bad though..