Monday, June 4, 2012

Rest of the wetlands walk.....

Besides the heron that was fishing, it was a nice day for a walk and seeing many things.  Here are some of them.  I'm getting behind with posts and things I am seeing lately.
 I've been looking for dragonflies, but so far have only seen a few of the ones I see each year.  This is a Blue Dasher male.  I have a photo of the female from another walk and never posted it.
 The Common Whitetail female. ( I identified this one wrong...it is the female)
 The Eastern Pondhawk male.  It was a men's day out apparently....males only.
Way up in a tree, I saw a Green Heron.  Couldn't get very good photos from so far below and not a good angle.


This one is more like a silhouette and makes him look like part of the branch.
My young geese are now almost exactly like their parents. 
I thought it was funny that they still line up between their parents even though they are so big now :-) 
Checking out all those new feathers.
A Mimosa tree that is a bit past its prime, but still pretty. 
I like their fuzzy flowers and wish I had gotten some photos when they were a bit fresher. 
Pearl Crescents seem to be the butterfly I see the most this year so far. 
 As I drove into the parking lot this turtle was crossing the driveway.  I moved him on across so he would not get flattened by the next car to arrive.
 Always lots of turtles enjoying the sun.


 These were more into cooling down in the shade, I guess.
I really saw several other nice birds and things, but didn't get any good photos.  I had a hawk fly right across the bridge in front of me with several smaller birds chasing it.  I'm never ready for shots like that!  I always think it is funny how the little birds will chase the big ones.
(NOTE:  For those who commented on my knowing dragonflies.  I only know the 5-6 kinds that I see every year.  I identified one of these wrong.....the Whitetail is the female, rather than the male which has a blue body.  Some of the names I found by just searching the Internet for a dragonfly of the color I had seen and then when I find a photo of one like mine, I write down the name and look it up.  I don't have a dragonfly guide, but BugGuide.com is always a good place to get one identified.  I like their "exotic" sounding names.  I don't know the names of any damselflies.) 

9 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great pictures. I don't know the dragonflies,so i am amazed at your ability to identify each one.

George said...

You got some great shots of the dragonflies. I'm glad you recused the turtle crossing the road.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary... You saw lots of critters at the wetlands... Love the Green Heron. I saw a Great Blue Heron when we were checking out a waterfall in South Carolina.

My parents had a mimosa tree in our yard --and hated it, since it is so invasive. I loved the blooms though.

Hugs,
Betsy

A Colorful World said...

Love the green heron and the turtles are so much fun! You are good recognizing the dragonflies, male or female and what kind. I've never known what each kind was!

Glad you enjoyed seeing the rattlesnake crossover again!

Janice K said...

Such a great variety of pictures. Besides the Green Heron, I loved your turtle pictures.

Becky said...

I had a whitetail female on my deck last week. So far I have seen a few Dragonflies, but none landed long enough for any pictures. As always love the turtles, and your header is spectacular Mary. Great shot!!

Kelly said...

...there are lots of turtles. I always love seeing them. The eyes on the first dragonfly are gorgeous!

Rose said...

At least you know the names of some...and remember them. I swear, I did not know there were so many different dragonflies till I started blogging.

Love all the turtles, of course. The other day going to Sarah's, one of the little ponds we pass had a log with turtles laying on it...but the way it was laying it looked just like a crocodile for a second.

Dorothy said...

Great pictures! Your are good at identifying all your critters;-)