Sunday, June 24, 2012

House Sparrows love water.....

Every year as the summer temperatures rise higher and the House Sparrow population grows at my house, I get to watch the young House Sparrows in the water.  They just love the fountain and fly there constantly to get a drink or just get wet.  Other birds like the fountain, too, but the House Sparrows are the main "water babies" who just seem to like playing there.
"My Turn!"
A flock of the babes getting drinks and looking for water around the base of the ball.  
 Sometimes you just have to go right to the source.....and sit in it!
 "Gulp.... gulp.... gulp...."
"Its like magic!"
 "Ahhhhhhhhh....."
"Get out of my way!" 
Guarding the water source from other birds. 
"All mine....nobody else is around!" 
I usually try to put out a bath for them, too.  This little guy had a nice splash.....seems to have splashed all the water away, in fact.
I fear my "froggy fountain" might not last many more years.  I am amazed that it has lasted this long!  It is just a ball formed out of some sort of foam that was meant to be a lawn ornament.  Mike turned it into a fountain for me by drilling a hole in the center and running a tube through it.......and I love it!  I will hate to see it fall apart.    The coating on the frogs is getting cracked.  We paint it every year when necessary and it has held up very well.

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

I like your 'froggy fountain' and I hope it last a long time! Evidently, the birds like it, too! Great pictures of the little sparrows!

Janice K said...

So cute...My birds have been drinking water from the trays under my plants. I have a bird bath, but they don't seem to use it. I finally put it away because the raccoons dismantle it at night, and I didn't want it broken.

Roy said...

That makes a great bird shower Mary.{:)

Naquillity said...

maybe Mike will fix you another bird bath when this one doesn't work anymore... it's so unique. and the birds love it. these pics are precious. hope you can continue to use the bird bath for several more years before looking to replace it. have a great night~

Ruth Hiebert said...

That fountain sure has served well. The birds seem to love it.

Rose said...

I have been thinking I need to put out something for the birds to bath in...the other night Roger forgot and left the water running for a while and there was big puddle out there and this one little sparrow just stayed in it.

Kelly said...

...hehehe...so cute!

A Colorful World said...

Just adorable, Mary! They are so sweet! Thanks for your well-wishes and prayers! I am doing great! It was scary but as you said, God got me through it!

Cicero Sings said...

Love your babes! So fun how they like to sit right in the burble ... the closer the better.